ammonia still high on my new qt

TLKAg87

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 21, 2018
Messages
110
Reaction score
50
Location
Lufkin, Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a hospital/qt tank and used Dr. Tim's One and Only to cycle the tank. I am about 2 weeks out now, and the ammonia is still high. Should I just wait? Add some live rock? The qt has some pvc fittings in there, nothing else. I used all new saltwater, so there is nothing in there from the DT. Not sure what to do next. Any advice?
 
I set up a hospital/qt tank and used Dr. Tim's One and Only to cycle the tank. I am about 2 weeks out now, and the ammonia is still high. Should I just wait? Add some live rock? The qt has some pvc fittings in there, nothing else. I used all new saltwater, so there is nothing in there from the DT. Not sure what to do next. Any advice?

Unless there is something in there that would be creating ammonia, I would guess this may be a test kit error.

Can you give us a brief overview of the QT setup and the test kit you are using?
 
We used dr tims and bottled ammonia to start our QT - it took 7 weeks to cycle. So you might just have to wait. [emoji30]
 
I typically set up my QT 48 hours before new arrivals. I do use bottled bacteria and filter floss for the bacteria to colonize.

I typically do not keep any sand, rock, or other media that can retain or release organics (only PVC for the fish to hide), therefore there would be no ammonia until a fish poops or food rots. Best way to battle this is to siphon out uneaten food, detritus, etc. Water changes if ammonia becomes present.

Seachem Ammonia badges are phenomenal for 24 hour ammonia monitoring.
 
20 gallon. HOB filter. PVC fittings for fish. I followed dr Tim’s procedures w one & only and ammonia drops. Test kit is API
 
Sorry TLKA I'm afraid You will have to wait .I feel Ya though. None of my new setups ever cycled in a couple weeks. it's hard to have patience .
 
No worries. No new fish until I get a handle on algae in DT and QT is ready. I was just not sure if I was doing it right
 
Since you are using API, may I suggest getting an ammonia badge? They run around $7-8 and test for the presence of ammonia continuously. A must have in a QT system IMO.

I personally think your test kit may be reading ammonia in error, especially if you have no organics in the system and dosed Dr Tims. Did you use RODI water for the QT tank?
 
yes. I have a rodi filter. I have read other posts about API not always being the most reliable. I may have to invest in a different brand. Thanks, I will get one of those badges asap.
 
yes. I have a rodi filter. I have read other posts about API not always being the most reliable. I may have to invest in a different brand. Thanks, I will get one of those badges asap.

If you have Amazon prime, that tends to be the best place I have found. Good luck!
 
Since you are using API, may I suggest getting an ammonia badge? They run around $7-8 and test for the presence of ammonia continuously. A must have in a QT system IMO.

I personally think your test kit may be reading ammonia in error, especially if you have no organics in the system and dosed Dr Tims. Did you use RODI water for the QT tank?
The ammonia is coming from the ammonia that they dosed.
 
There needs to be something for the beneficial bacteria to colonize on, they do not live on PVC and very little if any viable in the water column. You will need to use a sponge, bio media like seachem matrix or similar. If it's a true hospital tank you wont want live rock, but in an observational qt ghatyou may only use prazi pro or copper in, live rock would be fine. Live rock will interfere with antibiotics and some other meds, but no big deal with prazi pro or copper. Itz easy to monitor copper with live rock.
 
The ammonia is coming from the ammonia that they dosed.
Just saw that. Good catch.

Depending on how much was dosed, it could have been enough to stall the bacteria like we have seen in @Dr. Reef 's tests.

If you dont see it steadily dropping, I would test to determine how much ammonia is present. If it is 3ppm or below and stalled, I would add more bacteria or wait (it'll eventually process either way). If it is over 3ppm, a WC would be a good first step then dosing additional bacteria (or waiting again).
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top