Anemone and coral feeding questions

CoralLover49

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2013
Messages
477
Reaction score
2
Location
Jacksonville, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often can you feed anemonies? Every day? If not why?
Also other corals like acans, echinatas, chalices, zoas?
Thanks so much


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
not sure on anemonies, but i feed my acans, brain, frogspawn, duncan, caulustrea, and ricordeas everyday
 
not sure on anemonies, but i feed my acans, brain, frogspawn, duncan, caulustrea, and ricordeas everyday

I am also, then saw a thread that said its crazy to feed anemonies everday, i asked why but noone answered. I have a rainbow bubble nem and regular long tentacle nem, that one i fed everyday and in 2 months i would say tripled the size and very happy, on the other hand i cant get my RBT happy to save my life..


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
I really want to know about nems tho, i dont want to treat them wrong, my RBT is kinda my baby. :)


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
yeah i don;t see anything bad in my corals feeding every day. my t. geoffryi brain eats like a pig. i bet i could feed it a whole cube of mysis and it would still be hungry. hopefully someone can chime in here on the nems, i tried two different btas and killed them :-(
 
yeah i don;t see anything bad in my corals feeding every day. my t. geoffryi brain eats like a pig. i bet i could feed it a whole cube of mysis and it would still be hungry. hopefully someone can chime in here on the nems, i tried two different btas and killed them :-(

Oh no!! Me too, my first one was GBTA, died:(, this one is my dream one a rainbow one and not doing good, still alive, but almost always deflated


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
my first one, a speckled flame rose bta, i killed while recharging purigen wrong. the second one i think died from stray voltage. i wish i could keep one, i love the btas, but i can't bring myself to spend more money on one when i killed two already :-(
 
and my tank is starting to become filled with corals, being a 29 i don;t really have room for a nem
 
and my tank is starting to become filled with corals, being a 29 i don;t really have room for a nem

Mine is a 36 bowfront and filling with corals also
Have 3 nems only one of them is a RBTA..
Just bought my first very expensive chalice. Rainbow crush, actulally i have one payment left on it and its mine! I cant wait.
Been doing this 3 almost 4 months now, in love with corals, started out with saltwater fish tank then i saw the corals and i was head over heals..
I have rainbow zoas, blue hornets, rainbow echinata, JF sunset monti, acans, 3 flowerpots, mushrooms, other zoas, magicians, red chalice with blue rim, another red and purple chalice, 1 moreJF chalice i forget the name its aqua with pink. Eyes, beautiful!
Thats alot for a36 isnt it? Haha, i must be crazy!


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
I believe feeding them daily can be bad because they may not digest all the food and it can begin to rot inside.

I could very well be wrong.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
I believe feeding them daily can be bad because they may not digest all the food and it can begin to rot inside.

I could very well be wrong.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Thank you so much for the reply, makes good sense...
Thanks:)


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
I have two anemones and I have never spot fed them. The anemones rely more on their symbiotic relationship with the zooaxanthallae that live in their tentacles for their nutrition. The zooaxanthallae is photosynthetic and relies on sunlight, which is why lighting is so important for anemones. If your lighting is sufficient, I do not see the need to directly feed the anemone.

Also, frequent feedings do make the anemones grow and can contribute to the BTA splitting. It is possible to overfeed the anemone as well.

With all that being said, my anemones do get fed indirectly when I feed the tank. The same goes for my corals, since I do not spot feed them.
 
What species of anemone?

E. quadricolors (( BTA )) will, in nature, will consume items no larger than mysis(d) shrimp, so keep that in mind when feeding them.

Couple of reasons not to feed anemones every day --- first the amount of waste that they will produce from that will tax the filtration system.
Second, it takes them some time to fully digest the meals given them (( usually too large of pieces, too often )) and there is a chance that they haven't fully digested to last meal -- which can lead to fouling of the internal water.

Lastly, if an anemone is producing a good sized waste ball after feeding, you are feeding too much/too large of pieces.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top