Any idea what these are? Type of copepod?

Yourlocalreefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2022
Messages
113
Reaction score
95
Location
California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9BCCE13C-F1F4-4FAA-93EB-0190D1318F11.jpeg

Hi I noticed these little while guys a couple days ago. They are all over my rocks in low flow areas and some on the glass, corals and other places on my rock work. I think my wrasse has been picking at them because I see him running around picking at my rocks but I just want to be sure I know what they are?
 
9BCCE13C-F1F4-4FAA-93EB-0190D1318F11.jpeg

Hi I noticed these little while guys a couple days ago. They are all over my rocks in low flow areas and some on the glass, corals and other places on my rock work. I think my wrasse has been picking at them because I see him running around picking at my rocks but I just want to be sure I know what they are?
Hard photo to work with but may be copeods which are a good source
 
Upvote 0
I’m starting to think the same the more I look at them I just didn’t know their population goes up this much
With a food source such as phyto and algae, most definitely
 
Upvote 0
I found the same thing today!

A lot of the on the front glass. They look like little white circles and as soon as I turned the lights on some starting letting go of the glass. They crawl and move, but very slowly compared to tisbe pods.
 
Upvote 0
I found the same thing today!

A lot of the on the front glass. They look like little white circles and as soon as I turned the lights on some starting letting go of the glass. They crawl and move, but very slowly compared to tisbe pods.
That sounds just like them!
 
Upvote 0
That sounds just like them!
I tried to get a piece to sample under my microscope, but they were difficult to suck in the pipette because they were attached to the glass, and the powerheads blew them really quick as soon as I nudged them.

But I will try again with powerheads off… If they are still there after work. ;)
 
Upvote 0
That sounds just like them!
It’s the weirdest thing because my tank is a few months old and the tank was full of them today! Never had this before! And then I find this thread!

The tank looked like specs flying around, again, not normal. I think some sort of organism is reproducing.
 
Upvote 0
They move around quite a bit I mostly see them when blues are on and they look like small white dots with the same shell/back?
Doesn’t seem consistent with copepods, which are elongated and have a tail/antennae. They might possibly be Ostracods, a much rarer kind of “pod” in the marine hobby that is more common in the freshwater hobby. Also known as seed shrimp and are grazers/detritivores.
@ying yang
1660755464823.jpeg

1660755522938.jpeg
 
Upvote 0
Doesn’t seem consistent with copepods, which are elongated and have a tail/antennae. They might possibly be Ostracods, a much rarer kind of “pod” in the marine hobby that is more common in the freshwater hobby. Also known as seed shrimp and are grazers/detritivores.
@ying yang
1660755464823.jpeg

1660755522938.jpeg
Yeah hard to tell from photo,as to far away,I've got 2-3 varieties off what I believe to be some kind off ostracod,I couldn't see them clearly till got video on my phone with phone light on also then became easier to see them when zoomed in
 
Upvote 0
Here one variety which couldn't see with zooming in on phone but could when used video mode with lights on.
Plus got another similar kind to what look like yours and mainly all whiteish and another grey body with black stripe going left-right over the body
 
Upvote 0
It’s the weirdest thing because my tank is a few months old and the tank was full of them today! Never had this before! And then I find this thread!

The tank looked like specs flying around, again, not normal. I think some sort of organism is reproducing.
I agree when I turn my flow off for feeding i see some swimming around
 
Upvote 0
Here one variety which couldn't see with zooming in on phone but could when used video mode with lights on.
Plus got another similar kind to what look like yours and mainly all whiteish and another grey body with black stripe going left-right over the body
Oh wow that’s cool but those look bigger than the ones I have
 
Upvote 0
Yeah hard to tell from photo,as to far away,I've got 2-3 varieties off what I believe to be some kind off ostracod,I couldn't see them clearly till got video on my phone with phone light on also then became easier to see them when zoomed in
They look like that from the shell type thing they have.
 
Upvote 0
Oh wow that’s cool but those look bigger than the ones I have
I agree. Those look massive. The ones I had were very tiny. I couldn’t see anything more than a white tiny circle with my naked eye.

I haven’t seen them since though.
 
Upvote 0

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top