Any idea what this brown tube thing is?

Ridgeback1

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2021
Messages
10
Reaction score
13
Location
Bellingham
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a vermitid snail. Is it a tunicate? Aiptasia? IMG_1070.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG-1069.MOV
    24.7 MB
Here's the video as MP4 (and inserted vs. attached). The critter is small--under 1/4" long.

 
I can only see the top picture and it’s hard to see. Almost looks like a coral
 
I can only see the top picture and it’s hard to see. Almost looks like a coral
Thanks. Yeah...it's so small and moving around so much in the current that I can't get a clear picture, plus there isn't a good background angle. See the second video which I inserted instead of attaching for the best view.
 
Yeah moves alot in Current,but firmly attached to rock and almost translucent colour,yeah brown but very clear,.
No clue what it is though.
 
Here's the video as MP4 (and inserted vs. attached). The critter is small--under 1/4" long.

I know it's no help, but this immediately made me think of
happy dance GIF by Thoka Maer
 
To close this out: Upon further inspection I've decided it's algae. Maybe brown hair algae. There were two other spots of it nearby, but it's not spreading or growing fast (in fact the one in the photo is gone this morning--presumably a snail got it). The tank is only 2.5 months into cycling so it's going through stages still but the algae turf scrubber is growing algae nicely now and nitrates and phosphates are at ideal levels...so not too worried. No uglies yet in the DT during cycling.
 
yes- you should be able to siphon right out. Looks like algae ir slime that formed a tube shape but is nothing
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top