Any Ideas to upgrade filtration with limit space?

Justiful

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 10, 2015
Messages
381
Reaction score
136
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am new, I got a 46 gallon bowfront seaclear system 2. I am posting a picture of the rear of the aquarium from the manual and it shows what my system looks like and spaces I have to work with. I currently have the Protein skimmer that is specific to the tank that is optional in chamber 3. I have a heater in chamber 1. Also posted pic of front of my tank.

I have had the tank setup for 6 weeks. It currently contains.

1. 65lbs live rock
2. 12 snails (6 margerita, 6 Bumble Bee)
sea93261.jpg
IMG_0201[1].JPG

3. 6-8 Bristle worms (common orange/blue ones)
4. 3 Green chromis
5. 1 Emerald crab
6. 2 Brittle sea stars... about 5 inches in total size each... unsure kind exactly they hide in rocks. same coloring as fancy tiger, but definitely juveniles if they are.
7. 4-6 all white brittle sea stars, dime to nickle size.

What I am wondering is?
1. Do I need the bio-balls in the rear of the aquarium with such a large amount of live rock?
2. What could I put there instead of bioballs that might make it better. Maybe more live rock? Maybe an AIO internal filter system?
3. What options do I have to upgrade the protein skimmer? Could I use a small canister filter going into and out of that chamber instead to the stand under it? Do I even need to?
4. It has only been 1 week since I Installed the protein skimmer, but it doesn't seem to work yet. How long should I wait to be sure it won't start working? Could the bioload be so low it just isn't needed yet?
5. How would you use the chambers in the back?
6. You can't see it but behind those rocks is where the water comes out just above the sand line and on the right side. So it filters up around and through them all. But the left side doesn't have the same flow, should I place my wavemaker on the left, or have it also on the right to push it in 1 direction?
 
Hi. I am new, I got a 46 gallon bowfront seaclear system 2. I am posting a picture of the rear of the aquarium from the manual and it shows what my system looks like and spaces I have to work with. I currently have the Protein skimmer that is specific to the tank that is optional in chamber 3. I have a heater in chamber 1. Also posted pic of front of my tank.

I have had the tank setup for 6 weeks. It currently contains.

1. 65lbs live rock
2. 12 snails (6 margerita, 6 Bumble Bee)
sea93261.jpg
IMG_0201[1].JPG

3. 6-8 Bristle worms (common orange/blue ones)
4. 3 Green chromis
5. 1 Emerald crab
6. 2 Brittle sea stars... about 5 inches in total size each... unsure kind exactly they hide in rocks. same coloring as fancy tiger, but definitely juveniles if they are.
7. 4-6 all white brittle sea stars, dime to nickle size.

What I am wondering is?
1. Do I need the bio-balls in the rear of the aquarium with such a large amount of live rock?
2. What could I put there instead of bioballs that might make it better. Maybe more live rock? Maybe an AIO internal filter system?
3. What options do I have to upgrade the protein skimmer? Could I use a small canister filter going into and out of that chamber instead to the stand under it? Do I even need to?
4. It has only been 1 week since I Installed the protein skimmer, but it doesn't seem to work yet. How long should I wait to be sure it won't start working? Could the bioload be so low it just isn't needed yet?
5. How would you use the chambers in the back?
6. You can't see it but behind those rocks is where the water comes out just above the sand line and on the right side. So it filters up around and through them all. But the left side doesn't have the same flow, should I place my wavemaker on the left, or have it also on the right to push it in 1 direction?

Hi. I am just trying to figure this tank out myself. It is really hard to find information on it! I got it set up. What was I was wondering is, the back the water doesn't need to go all the way to the top, does it? What I noticed is, it goes up to the drip tray but not higher. You have to pretty much fill the whole aquarium up with water too. If gets just slightly low, bubbles start to come out which according to the video I watch, means it needs more water. Is yours noisy? I am guessing because the pump/mortar is on the bottom of the aquarium. Anyway, anything it you can tell me or figured out about this aquarium, let me know! Thank you!!
 
Hi. I am just trying to figure this tank out myself. It is really hard to find information on it! I got it set up. What was I was wondering is, the back the water doesn't need to go all the way to the top, does it? What I noticed is, it goes up to the drip tray but not higher. You have to pretty much fill the whole aquarium up with water too. If gets just slightly low, bubbles start to come out which according to the video I watch, means it needs more water. Is yours noisy? I am guessing because the pump/mortar is on the bottom of the aquarium. Anyway, anything it you can tell me or figured out about this aquarium, let me know! Thank you!!

Welcome to the Forums! :). This is quite an old thread but let me see if I may be of assistance...

Do you run an ATO (automatic top off) system to compensate for evaporation? In AIO (all in one) tanks, the water level in the return chamber will fluctuate and get lower due to evaporation. As the water level continues to get lower, the return pump will draw in air causing micro bubbles in the display. So it will be a good idea to get an ATO system and put the water level sensor in the return section as well as the water fill line. If you don’t use an ATO, it will be good practice to manually top off every day with RODI water so that your salinity levels don’t fluctuate and stay stable. This will also solve your issues of microbubbles in the DT.
 
Welcome to the Forums! :). This is quite an old thread but let me see if I may be of assistance...

Do you run an ATO (automatic top off) system to compensate for evaporation? In AIO (all in one) tanks, the water level in the return chamber will fluctuate and get lower due to evaporation. As the water level continues to get lower, the return pump will draw in air causing micro bubbles in the display. So it will be a good idea to get an ATO system and put the water level sensor in the return section as well as the water fill line. If you don’t use an ATO, it will be good practice to manually top off every day with RODI water so that your salinity levels don’t fluctuate and stay stable. This will also solve your issues of microbubbles in the DT.

Thank you!!! I was looking for the date when that was posted! So is that why it's so noisy? I don't have an ATO. I will have to look into that. I need to get more RODI water. My system is currently not working. I will try to see if that helps. I love this tank but it is just soo noisy. I wondered if it was topped off, it would be so loud.
 
Does the noise coincide with the micro bubbles in the display? If so, that noise is probably coming from the return pump sucking in air. Until you get an ATO, I would recommend that you manually top off in the return chamber to make sure the return pump is properly submerged. Also, it may be a good idea to use a valve to dial back the flow of the return pump if it’s too strong to balance the flow going through the rear filtration chambers. That should help alleviate excess noise as well.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top