Anybody here have a long-term frag tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ps2cho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

ps2cho

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 17, 2014
Messages
879
Reaction score
268
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dors anybody here have a long-term frag tank they've had up longer than a year?

Just want to see if you have photos and have any advice on success of keeping corals in it? Both for health and pest prevention?
 
i do.. several years, actually.

It's a 45 g tank with a 40b sump. I will say that I have a HUGE....refugium :) Lit by a Kessil purple. I throw out a 5 gal bucket of cheato a month.

I run a skimmer and do water changes. No more carbon or GFO. Although I do put a reactor on if I see something pop up (Algae, etc). I have had several different LEDs thoughout the years - current running 2 x Pacific Sun Triton S @ 25% - yes, overkill.

20160113_205722.jpg


20160925_084730.jpg


20160526_064939.jpg


20150718_230650.jpg


0126152142.jpg


1485696919883.jpg
 
^ nice! Do you have any live rock in there or in the sump? I'm trying to replicate success.
 
I dip the new corals.

So did I...it's not foolproof and it eventually caught up to me. It's just a matter of time. You can be the best driver, but you should always have good insurance because it just takes one mistake, one time, or one hardy species.
 
How long did it take for the frag tank to be stable and happy with SPS or did you use established live rock?

Since moving my frags they all seem really unhappy and a few have some STN...but it may be the elevated Alk from the new saltwater.

I'm doing the Fluco treatment to eliminate the byropsis right now which was smothering them before.
 
The most important thing is having enough fish in the tank to support feeding the corals. I had issues for a while. Almost the whole first year. Then I figured out I needed more fish. My tank is a 60 gl deep blue Frag tank. I have 10 fish and the acros are doing well with good color and growth. I have 40 lbs or less in my sump that was a couple years old. Obviously stable Params are a given especially alk, but feeding the bioload and keeping it balanced are key.
How big is the tank and how many fish?
 
It's a 40B with a Kole tang, sixline wrasse, and cleaner shrimp plus CUC. Currently I'm maintaining about 2ppm nitrates.

Ok so you did have prior rock got it
 
You need more fish imo. Two is not enough. Add like 4 more small guys. Maybe a school of chromis. No3 at 2 is good. No algae ?
The 6line might be aggressive though.
 
No algae other than the bryopsis, which if this fluco stuff works it will rid of the only eye-sore!

The live rock I have is about a year old so it's handled the tank move well.

What I will do is once the fluco has ran its course, I'll add my sump back on the tank and go get some more poop for the tank!

My other suggestions for good smaller fish? What about two clowns or do I need more?

My 6L never bothered any of my other fish before I split the tanks up.
 
Def 2 small clowns could work. After see if you might need more. The kole tang is a big fish in the 40 Breeder.

Don't want to call the Tang Police, but never had any problems with the KT. It's only about a year old and long term goal is a 120gal so as it gets bigger it'll get a bigger home. I wouldn't recommend any other tang...had a baby yellow for a while but traded it in after 6mo because the activity level was obvious it needed more space...the kole tangs activity level is a lot less.

I think I've decided instead of putting more fish in and increasing work, I am going to feed coral food twice a week which should satisfy the needed extra nutrients
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top