Anybody use Marine Pure as sole filtration method?

chevegan

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2017
Messages
128
Reaction score
66
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about this more and more. I currently only have a nano until my house is built. In that nano I have 1 marine pure Medium sized rock + 10lbs or so of dead rock. In addition to that I have a ghost skimmer and a diy upflow algae scrubber. Parameters are always at undetectable and the tank is only 2 months old with 4 small fish and a small cuc.

BRStv on youtube was originally going to use all marine pure blocks but then changed their mind :mad: I'm certain because they somehow make more money going zeovit either selling it or getting paid to advertise. They just said they changed there minds. Anyway, if viewed as a direct replacement for many many many pounds of LR each then it would stand to reason that it could potentially be your sole form of filtration for everything except phosphates. If I had the space I would love to run a controlled test with a few 10 gallon tanks. Specifically the blocks. How many actually needed to how much nutrients introduced to water.

Any thoughts or experiences?
 
All it will do is reduce nitrate. You'll still need other filtration methods, as you noted. Phosphate, and also organics.

In a small tank , your water changes can reduce phosphates. In addition inside the marine pure blocks or similar products as the bacteria work on nitrates there will be some phosphate reduction. A small bag of carbon will reduce organics. You'll need good flow with surface motion as well.
 
I have one of my propagation systems that uses only marinepure (the large block) for biofiltration. I still run carbon and phosphate removal media but as a biomedia it does a great job.
 
Well then I should specify. With recent studies showing de-nitrification with even just bio balls I suppose my main concern is to make a compact sump system that's ultra quiet that requires little maintenance long term. My new tank is going to be more of a lagoon with only 2 mounds/columns. As someone who travels a lot something like a marine pure block with gfo and a skimmer. Or I'm even toying with the idea of the marine pure with a large algae scrubber to control phosphates.
 
I think that's a fine idea, as long as your water isn't going straight from your tank to sump, it would eventually get into and clog all the pores in the block. I'd make sure it goes through a pretty filter first.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top