Anybody using a denitrator? What are the pros and cons?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
38,516
Reaction score
67,449
Location
Fontana, California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey! I'm wondering about sulfur denitrators. I won one at RAP last year, and I'm thinking about setting it up on this tank as I'm planning a pretty heavy bioload. I've got ZERO experience with these, so I know I need to do more research before putting it online. From those of you who have used them or are using them, what do I need to know? What are the pros and cons?

Here's the one I have.

1724108832048.png
 
They generally work quite well, but will lower alkalinity, with the extent of lowering depending on how much nitrate is removed. So keeping an eye on alk is important.
 
I have that one, used it for a year and it worked, but I just took it offline. That microfilter clogs easily so youll want back ups and over time the media clumps together and rises to the top of the reactor. Smells horrible when you open it, it will stink up a room easily.
My wife would always complain. Works well for nitrates though.

As stated before it will deplete your ph. Some people use that ARM argonite in the reactor on top of the sulfur media. I used a kalk stirrer, but that struggled to hit 8.3. Lately sulfur chips have been difficult to get through deltec. Always seemed out of stock when id look. Amazon had them, but I believe it was for gardening not aquariuns so I was always afraid to buy it off Amazon.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top