Anyone catch their own fish for their tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sea J
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I'm in brevard florida and we used to go to the sebastian inlet and catch tropical fish... the prized catch out the there is a french angel which we've got 4-5 over hte past few years... but we kinda stopped because we lost 2-3 on our own and the other 2 we just did not keep....they seemed to keep dying so i just stopped..rather leave them out there


But, the rule is i think 6 angelfish can be caught in one day as long as there over 0.5'' and we honored that.... there are assorted damsels out there too which have no limit
 
I've collected many of the Fish and Inverts in my Reeftank from Hawaii. Mostly from Snorkeling or Tide Pool collections with a hand net at night. All have been small juvenile's which I feel is a more responsible and sustainable practice in collection.

Cheers, Todd


P.S. I collected all Fish and Inverts under a 'Personal Aquarium Collection' permit from the Hawaii DLNR
 
Last edited:
Yeah I'm gonna do some research on permits for smaller fish..I have to get a bigger tank thou so I have a buddy that will sell his 150g for 300..great deal for me and big enough to store the fish I want from my part of the ocean...I wish I could make a pelagic tank with small dolphin, sailfish and wahoo as when I go swordfish in we catch them in our nets while trying to get tinker macs...pretty cool stuff
 
I "think" You can purchase commercial collecting license ? I "do know" You can't keep a small game fish. A swimming pool would be cool. If You lived on the water for constant clean water, You could keep legal reds maybe a snook. Shoot You could keep a bunch of spiny lobsters as long as they were legal! A strawberry group maybe? couple of stingrays. You would need a constant supply of finger mullet to feed. That would be cool! I think Marine Land was for sale some years back, 7 million if I'm not mistaken.
 
But diving in 69 % water?

Thats why they invented wet suits. This is Man diving. Diving where you can see and stay warm is Sissy diving
 
I'm no sissy! I just can't fit into my wetsuit anymore! It shrunk or something.LOL
 
Don’t do bonefish. They swim too fast.

What do you think about sole fish, shrimp, small pigfish, or small oyster fish?
 
I collect neon gobies in south Fla. I’ve caught many other tropical in the past but now, just what is compatible with reef aquariums.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top