Anyone ever get a bad batch of PhosGuard?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NormanB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

NormanB

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 10, 2019
Messages
595
Reaction score
312
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the current batch of PhosGuard isn't doing anything. I've increased the amount from 0.5 cups to 0.75 cups, run for the 4 days and check, reading are usually 0.09 to 0.11 with many being 0.10. I realize with the Hanna UL phosphate checker these numbers are withing it's accuracy range.

I also realize that phosphates can be leeching from rock and substrate, but the last batch of PhosGuard was giving me numbers from 0.02-0.08 and not till the new batch have the numbers not moved even with additional PhosGuard.

Any comments?

Thanks!!
 
It seems like the current batch of PhosGuard isn't doing anything. I've increased the amount from 0.5 cups to 0.75 cups, run for the 4 days and check, reading are usually 0.09 to 0.11 with many being 0.10. I realize with the Hanna UL phosphate checker these numbers are withing it's accuracy range.

I also realize that phosphates can be leeching from rock and substrate, but the last batch of PhosGuard was giving me numbers from 0.02-0.08 and not till the new batch have the numbers not moved even with additional PhosGuard.

Any comments?

Thanks!!

Make sure you're testing the same way each time, and shaking for 2 Minutes with the hanna checker.

Other than that, not sure, I've never gotten a bad bottle, Whats the XP date on the bottle?

You can pull it out and rinse it off in RODI water and shake it around and put it back. Not sure if that will help.

Make sure it's getting good flow.

Got a tip one time to test the sump water before the return not from the tank, that way you can see actually if it's stripping.
 
I just don't know what's up. No expiration date as it aluminum oxide which I wouldn't think goes bad, it stays in the original container tightly closed.

When using the Hanna checker I always orient the glass tube the same way, shake gently for the required 2 minutes, make sure the outside of the tube in clean. Samples are taken from the sump.

Yeah, I'm not sure if rinsing would matter any.

The Phosguard is in a BRS media reactor, so flow should be good.

Thanks for your thoughts!
 
I believe this to be true.

So, still wondering why no movement with this batch...
 
How long has your phosphate been elevated? It could just be that the rock is releasing all the bound up phosphate. I once got to phosphate of 3ppm (yes three). It took months of using phosguard and gfo before I saw a noticable drop.
 
My phosphates haven't ever been real high, if I remember correctly 0.18ppm is the highest it's ever been. I've worked to lower phosphate and nitrate as part of my control of byropis.

I just find it strange that the last batch of phosguard moved the numbers lower and this batch has little to no impact of levels.

Dunno...this batch will be gone soon and another is on the way, so I'll see. However, there must be something else going on, because I just don't see how this batch could be ineffective.
 
My phosphates haven't ever been real high, if I remember correctly 0.18ppm is the highest it's ever been. I've worked to lower phosphate and nitrate as part of my control of byropis.

I just find it strange that the last batch of phosguard moved the numbers lower and this batch has little to no impact of levels.

Dunno...this batch will be gone soon and another is on the way, so I'll see. However, there must be something else going on, because I just don't see how this batch could be ineffective.
How old's the tank?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top