Anyone ever had fish die from downgrading an aquarium?

I’m sure it’s not from the downgrade it’s from the ammonia nitrite and nitrate spike from the transferring of the sand and rock and what not not being cleaned properly during the transfer.
You think it would spike ammonia even if I brought over the rocks that I have had for 3+ years?
 
Upvote 0
Is the downgrade going to still be a decent bioload for the small tank?

I downgraded from a 65 gallon to a 29 gallon moving some of the rock and the two clowns I had at the time, still have the clowns a dozen years later. I didn't have many corals at the time, but was just mindful of replacing sand and maybe monitoring ammonia after the move. I don't remember having any issues with any moves that I have done.
 
Upvote 0
Is the downgrade going to still be a decent bioload for the small tank?

I downgraded from a 65 gallon to a 29 gallon moving some of the rock and the two clowns I had at the time, still have the clowns a dozen years later. I didn't have many corals at the time, but was just mindful of replacing sand and maybe monitoring ammonia after the move. I don't remember having any issues with any moves that I have done.
Yeah it would seem like maybe my tank did a mini cycle and that is what killed them. I figured since I was using the same rocks it wouldn't be am issue. Guess not.
 
Upvote 0
My 1/2-hunch, 1/2-past experience: Occasionally a particular fish seems to have adapted so long and so well to a particular tank that even with all the usual precautions, he simply doesn't survive the new environment. But it should be a rare event-- much more rare than not surviving a trip from an online seller of LFS.
 
Upvote 0

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top