Anyone had any success keeping hermits with jellyfish?

Jess89264

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2018
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen online a lot of jelly tanks suggesting the addition of shrimp/hermits as part of a cleanup crew.... has anyone had any success in this?
Usually jelly tanks are sole species tanks.... any thoughts?
 
Well the Jelly Fish is not going to bother the hermits, but Jelly Fish are slow moving and bounce off surfaces so I would try Dwarf Hermits that might not inflict too much damage to the Jelly Fish.

Welcome to R2R. :-)
 
What about soft corals and anemones that also need low water flow? Can they go in a tank with jellies (actually—can those be most of the tank, with a few jellies and some clean up crew?)
 
What about soft corals and anemones that also need low water flow? Can they go in a tank with jellies (actually—can those be most of the tank, with a few jellies and some clean up crew?)

Jellies need tanks clear of any obstructions with circular flow in order to emulate the conditions of the pelagic zone of the ocean. Any corals, rocks, pipes, cornered surfaces, or other types of obstructions will damage and kill jellies. They did not evolve to be able to live in an environment where they can snag on something or bump into surfaces. Even clean up crew organisms can damage them. Jellies are only suitable to be kept in kreisel-type, single species systems.
 
Jellies need tanks clear of any obstructions with circular flow in order to emulate the conditions of the pelagic zone of the ocean. Any corals, rocks, pipes, cornered surfaces, or other types of obstructions will damage and kill jellies. They did not evolve to be able to live in an environment where they can snag on something or bump into surfaces. Even clean up crew organisms can damage them. Jellies are only suitable to be kept in kreisel-type, single species systems.
I’ve been reading up on tumbler circulation for jelly tanks, want to set a tank up that way for jellies and a friends. Basically, instead of keeping them in a constant whirlpool, it has rising and falling currents, similar to the ocean environment.
 
Last edited:
Well the Jelly Fish is not going to bother the hermits, but Jelly Fish are slow moving and bounce off surfaces so I would try Dwarf Hermits that might not inflict too much damage to the Jelly Fish.

Welcome to R2R. :)
Following, because I’m interested in this too.

I wonder if it’d work to specify “no pointy shells” when purchasing dwarf hermit crabs ;)
 
I’ve seen online a lot of jelly tanks suggesting the addition of shrimp/hermits as part of a cleanup crew.... has anyone had any success in this?
Usually jelly tanks are sole species tanks.... any thoughts?
What size/developmental stage shrimp do you mean? Brine shrimp can be good jelly food. When I think about doing this, that’s pretty much where my ideas start—building a balanced system around brine shrimp, one that includes a way to get rid of the shrimp cells, and then introducing jellies once the system is stabile. If brine shrimp hatch in the tank, their shells apparently become dangerous for jellies, so that’s one issue to figure out before the jellyfish get there.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top