Anyone have an idea what this is, good/bad?

Here's a couple pics.....

5A693CCF-3A70-41B4-B0DF-A149BFE352EE-4584-0000072B176D7846.jpg

87DBA646-0D32-4EB6-9434-DB4919FDBCF9-4584-0000072B02274362.jpg
 
Now I kind of feel like searching for critters on my glass! My first thought is a baby snail, but it could be a baby slug. It sure looks cool and glides so effortlessly on the glass. I hope someone chimes in with a more definitive answer for you.
 
Flatworm. I had them in my refugium for a long time and I picked them out one by for a while. Then I put a mantis shrimp in there and they disappeared...although I have no idea if he ate them. It's a good thing though, cause I don't stick my hand in there anymore :)

There is supposed to be a variation that eats Acros, but mine never made it to my display tank to experience that. IME, they didn't do any damage...I just plucked them out because of the possibility of them getting in my SPS.
 
And they can apparently release toxins into the water if the population is large. I just siphoned mine out.
 
definately a flatworm. some are harmful to corals others not but they are all a nuisance. their population can grow incredibly fast and then if something causes them to die off suddenly they can polute and crash a system real fast. siphon them out if you see them and if they start to get out of control try some flatworm exit but be careful and follow the directions exactly.
 
I have since looked at all my glass and found 5 more, two about 150% larger than the one in the video and pic. Don't want my Slimer or Red Planet going anywhere so thanks for the help, Their demise is now a priority ;)
 
Unfortunately dont think the wrasse option will work for me but I am gonna look into some treatment options. If anyone has any ideas besides flatworm exit I'd love to hear them :) or a guaranteed way to kill and or capture a crab from the Chlorodiella genus (I think a long arm rubble crab)that kills any fish that enters my tank :( if the crab was gone, the wrasse option could work ;)
 
Is agree with Nana, yours look like the harmless kind. I read that same link when I had mine and they were the same. As I said, I never saw any of mine do any damage, but I read the breed like cockroaches. And I didn't want them all over.

Here is what acro eating are supposed to look like.
Melevsreef.com - AEFW | Acropora Eating Flatworms
 
Unfortunately dont think the wrasse option will work for me but I am gonna look into some treatment options. If anyone has any ideas besides flatworm exit I'd love to hear them :) or a guaranteed way to kill and or capture a crab from the Chlorodiella genus (I think a long arm rubble crab)that kills any fish that enters my tank :( if the crab was gone, the wrasse option could work ;)

Get a plastic soda bottle. Cut top portion off. Near the neck of your cut top, cut a larger open that the crab can fit in. Put the smaller part into the bottom half of the soda bottle so it looks like this " >". Put bait (food, like uncooked shrimp, fish, whatever) in it. Sink it near the location where said crab lives, weigh it down if need be. Leave it be and be patient. Catch said crab, boil it and eat it..-just kidding.

Those little flat worms are harmless per say. I got them (not 100s) and had them for a while. Those are not the acro-eating ones or the red Planaria flatworms, nor will they turn into red Planaria. I find I only see them when I start to have film algae start forming on the glass. Get a needle or something small and pointy, poke at it and watch how fast they move. Mine are the size of my pods and never saw any bigger. The biggest is about the size of this symbol ~


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Get a plastic soda bottle. Cut top portion off. Near the neck of your cut top, cut a larger open that the crab can fit in. Put the smaller part into the bottom half of the soda bottle so it looks like this " >". Put bait (food, like uncooked shrimp, fish, whatever) in it. Sink it near the location where said crab lives, weigh it down if need be. Leave it be and be patient. Catch said crab, boil it and eat it..-just kidding.

Those little flat worms are harmless per say. I got them (not 100s) and had them for a while. Those are not the acro-eating ones or the red Planaria flatworms, nor will they turn into red Planaria. I find I only see them when I start to have film algae start forming on the glass. Get a needle or something small and pointy, poke at it and watch how fast they move. Mine are the size of my pods and never saw any bigger. The biggest is about the size of this symbol ~

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am new to pests. The red flat worms. Why are they bad? "Red planaria"
 
If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all eyes. Tried the bottle, tried a tall glass with shrimp, tried a baited trap door idea (kinda funny tangent....2 nights ago I made a little contraption out of an acrylic cricket keeper box without a lid and small sheet of acrylic. Dremel'ed a slit in the side of the keeper so that the rectangle flat piece fits in the slot and when the keeper is on its side... Wha la, sliding trap door lid. Didnt work, lol. Spent two hours trying and nada but still have it so I'm gonna try some more ;)
 
If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all eyes. Tried the bottle, tried a tall glass with shrimp, tried a baited trap door idea (kinda funny tangent....2 nights ago I made a little contraption out of an acrylic cricket keeper box without a lid and small sheet of acrylic. Dremel'ed a slit in the side of the keeper so that the rectangle flat piece fits in the slot and when the keeper is on its side... Wha la, sliding trap door lid. Didnt work, lol. Spent two hours trying and nada but still have it so I'm gonna try some more ;)

Try feeding him normally with hands those foods.

Then a few days later put the same foods in the critter catcher. But don't try to catch yet.

Then once he goes in to feed like he is used to close the door and now your done.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top