anyone have the new icecap v3 batterybackup? worth it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Devaji
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Devaji

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2016
Messages
7,675
Reaction score
7,035
Location
Jackson Hole, WY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as I set up my new tank that is taking forever...

I needed some small things from BRS and saw they had the new icecap V3 battery backup I was planning on getting one anyway just not right now.
wondering if I should just bight the bullet and order it to get free shipping or wait for a few months and see some reviews.

BRS is pretty good so I would imagine with there where issues they would help out.
 
i bought a cyberpower backup and attached alexa outlets to turn off pumps via voice control. the cyberpower will give me a few hours on full load. cheaper too
Are you plugging in AC devices?
The inverter on those devices takes a crapload of power away from the batteries once the power goes out. If you have an extended power outage and no generator youd be in serious trouble since your powerheads/return pump is the heart of your system.
That being said, i do use one for my heaters.

The icecap battery backup lasts for 35h for one pump as its directly powering the pump.

To the OP, i built my own battery backup using amazon bought batteries and a trickle charger but if the price is right id get the icecap.
The ecotech backup is the same principle.
 
as I set up my new tank that is taking forever...

I needed some small things from BRS and saw they had the new icecap V3 battery backup I was planning on getting one anyway just not right now.
wondering if I should just bight the bullet and order it to get free shipping or wait for a few months and see some reviews.

BRS is pretty good so I would imagine with there where issues they would help out.
I bought one for my redsea reefwave. Hooked up no problems, although cords are a little shorter than I'd expect out of the box. Not an issue but if you plan on mounting it somewhere not close to the controller you'd need to find extenders.

It works fine no issues. I did not test the longevity of it and have not had a power outage since hooking up. I have turned off power and it worked.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Vortech backup made by Icecap? It said it right on the older VT backups. Not sure about the new ones....I've been out of the game for a bit. If the VT backup is still the same slave battery then Icecap would be the better deal imo.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Vortech backup made by Icecap? It said it right on the older VT backups. Not sure about the new ones....I've been out of the game for a bit. If the VT backup is still the same slave battery then Icecap would be the better deal imo.
Yes they were. Idk if anymore but the current vortech battery pack, you can replace the battery. The case is just riveted together.

Heres the replacement.

The better deal is to build your own :)

20210129_142751.jpg
 
I have both v1 and v2 and they were both garbage. Neither one lasted more than an hour during an actual blackout while running jebao power heads at 10% power. Return pump didn't last 10 mins. I'm sitting v3 out.
 
Yes they were. Idk if anymore but the current vortech battery pack, you can replace the battery. The case is just riveted together.

Heres the replacement.

The better deal is to build your own :)

20210129_142751.jpg

I thought about a DIY reef rudes did a good video a while back. about the same price point but I think you can get dbl the battery tho.

did you DIY one?
 
I have both v1 and v2 and they were both garbage. Neither one lasted more than an hour during an actual blackout while running jebao power heads at 10% power. Return pump didn't last 10 mins. I'm sitting v3 out.
that crazy I thought they when supposed to last a lot longer? wonder if it was the jeabo?
i'll be running maxspect gyres so thought this might be an easy clean solution for battery backup
 
I thought about a DIY reef rudes did a good video a while back. about the same price point but I think you can get dbl the battery tho.

did you DIY one?
Yes.

$36 for the battery
$5 for the fused cable to connect batteries to mp10 controller.
$30 if youre using it for a vectra pump
And $15 for a float charger.
Throw it in a plastic shoe box and good to go.

Much cheaper than icecap or ecotechs battery backups and functions the same.

Some wiring knowledge required.
I have 2 batteries being charged off 1 charger and each power one powerhead.

Adding another dual battery bank for the return pump and an AC backup for 2-3 hours of heating.

Screenshot_20210131-105914_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20210131-110008_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210131-110025_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210131-110100_Home Depot.jpg
 
Yes.

$36 for the battery
$5 for the fused cable to connect batteries to mp10 controller.
$30 if youre using it for a vectra pump
And $15 for a float charger.
Throw it in a plastic shoe box and good to go.

Much cheaper than icecap or ecotechs battery backups and functions the same.

Some wiring knowledge required.
I have 2 batteries being charged off 1 charger and each power one powerhead.

Adding another dual battery bank for the return pump and an AC backup for 2-3 hours of heating.

Screenshot_20210131-105914_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20210131-110008_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210131-110025_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210131-110100_Home Depot.jpg
thanks I just might give that a go. looks like the icecap V3 are out of stick at BRs anyway so it gives me time to think about.
 
Yes.

$36 for the battery
$5 for the fused cable to connect batteries to mp10 controller.
$30 if youre using it for a vectra pump
And $15 for a float charger.
Throw it in a plastic shoe box and good to go.

Much cheaper than icecap or ecotechs battery backups and functions the same.

Some wiring knowledge required.
I have 2 batteries being charged off 1 charger and each power one powerhead.

Adding another dual battery bank for the return pump and an AC backup for 2-3 hours of heating.

Screenshot_20210131-105914_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20210131-110008_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210131-110025_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210131-110100_Home Depot.jpg

@Saltyreef I'm looking for DIY backup. One question. Do you connect the pump to the battery and the float charger plug in 24/7, sort of like UPS? Or you turn ON only during blackout?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top