Anyone know what this is on my sand bad

Alexblade1889

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2020
Messages
21
Reaction score
18
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there not really sure what this is any chance anyone on here knows I’ve done abit of reading and think it might be diatoms ???
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3339.MOV
    19.3 MB
from the video I can say Diatoms, dinoflagellate or Ciano, but not 100% sure which one, more like starting build up of cyanobacteria.
 
Since when do you have it? and can you let us know what are your water specs/parameters Please, NO2-3, PO4, Alk/KH, and Ca/calcium
 
Many thanks any idea how to treat it I’ve got some atm outbreak which is highly recommended and also heard that of you keep the light off for a couple of days that will help too ???
 
48+ hours blackout completely
And is good to have 50 micron filter to the sump.
IF diatom, or dinos UV steriliser can help and is good the sand to be stirred (if you have sand surface cleaner to suck most of it), after that off the light and cover the tank to be wi/o light in completely for 48+ hours and I think it will be gone.
 
Many thanks any idea how to treat it I’ve got some atm outbreak which is highly recommended and also heard that of you keep the light off for a couple of days that will help too ???
not only off the lights, cover the tank with something, to can't get light at all
 
Yep, looks like diatoms. There are many articles regarding how to get rid of them, what I did, was used a 10-micro sock filter (changed it every other day), brushed off the rock, and allowed the sock filters to catch everything. I did read, should not perform a water change...although I did, made it worse. Later-on installed a UV and the problem was gone.
 
Yep, looks like diatoms. There are many articles regarding how to get rid of them, what I did, was used a 10-micro sock filter (changed it every other day), brushed off the rock, and allowed the sock filters to catch everything. I did read, should not perform a water change...although I did, made it worse. Later-on installed a UV and the problem was gone.
same here, put 50W UV and all is fine after few days, but yes, BIG NO for water Change
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top