Anyone used Santa Monica algae scrubbers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hllb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Does turbo scrubber works in-sump? I am considering IceCap Pro for that reason. I want something that I can place inside the sump.
 
Not sure this is something I want to drop the bread on then :(
The plus is it just lays on the water in sump, is very easy to harvest and no additional plumbing. And it does work. Down side is clogged tubing seems to be an issue every so often. They actually include a syringe with the kit so they know it’s an issue. As far as the lights life span and algae production compared to water fall type, mine hasn’t been on line long enough to tell. I found it for $100 off and didn’t want the larger water fall on my sump. That is why I went with the Surf. It only takes a minute to clear tubing but would be nice if it was a set it and leave it.
 
Thanks, where did you get that bracket?
I made it, very simple to make. I used 1" alloy angle and nylon nuts and bolts. All you need tool wise I an hacksaw drill and file.
 

Attachments

  • 20200203_112032.jpg
    20200203_112032.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20191030_212727.jpg
    20191030_212727.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 20191009_192736.jpg
    20191009_192736.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 20191009_192800.jpg
    20191009_192800.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20191009_192741.jpg
    20191009_192741.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 53
I’ve had zero isssues w my Santa Monica. Going on over 3 years. Ripping algae out weekly. Wish it was bigger
What model do you have? SM recommended I do a HOG 3xx and a Surf 4x. I am a bit nervous about the HOG after reading posts here on R2R.
 
What model do you have? SM recommended I do a HOG 3xx and a Surf 4x. I am a bit nervous about the HOG after reading posts here on R2R.
Hog 1. Think I paid $150 back in the day. Still rolling

If I had to do again I’d get one model up and just run it less. I’m running this one almost 24/7 now.
 
My surf has been running my 75g tank for 10 years. SPS mixed reef for many years and now a LPS tank

I have no regrets, the model / size has proved to be correct for managing my nitrates phosphate and significantly reducing algae growth in the display
 
My surf has been running my 75g tank for 10 years. SPS mixed reef for many years and now a LPS tank

I have no regrets, the model / size has proved to be correct for managing my nitrates phosphate and significantly reducing algae growth in the display
Yup, I’ve haven’t had algae in the display for years with it
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top