Apex pH probe reading low out of box

  • Thread starter Thread starter DVal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

DVal

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 12, 2017
Messages
381
Reaction score
287
Location
Chattanooga
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my Apex and calibrated the pH probe and it's reading 5.6. My Milwaukee tester is reading 8.2 and I'm getting the same ballpark measurement on a strip test. Any thoughts? I don't understand how it's reading so low, BUT appeared to read the calibration fluid correctly.
 
What I think may be going on is that I didn't calibrate it at the regular tank temp. Tank was off for a bit and I may have floated the calibration fluid for too short of a time when the tank temp was cooler than it typically is. Do you think that could cause such a low reading?
 
What I think may be going on is that I didn't calibrate it at the regular tank temp. Tank was off for a bit and I may have floated the calibration fluid for too short of a time when the tank temp was cooler than it typically is. Do you think that could cause such a low reading?
Yes the tank temp can have an neg effect but it's hard to say if that's the issue. Try a few calibrations and if it's still not working contact your vendor or Neptune for a replacement. I'm pretty sure one of my probes from the box is toast and it hasnt seen water yet due to damage I see. GL
 
Let the probe sit in your tank for a day, recalibrate, and see what you have.
 
Also check it by putting some tank water in a glass and place the probe in the glass and make sure the reading is close to the one you were getting in the tank. If not then you have something in the tank interfering with the reading, If that is ok wait a couple of days and recalibrate but leave the probe in each solution when calibrating for 5-10 minutes. After calibration double check the reading in each solution. Also there should be a glass bulb in the tip of the probe. These can get broken during shipment.
 
Also check it by putting some tank water in a glass and place the probe in the glass and make sure the reading is close to the one you were getting in the tank. If not then you have something in the tank interfering with the reading, If that is ok wait a couple of days and recalibrate but leave the probe in each solution when calibrating for 5-10 minutes. After calibration double check the reading in each solution. Also there should be a glass bulb in the tip of the probe. These can get broken during shipment.
I appreciate the tip! I'll give that a try tonight.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top