Aqua UV purchased from MARINE DEPOT.

choco24

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 4, 2015
Messages
297
Reaction score
93
Location
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Just wanted to vent out a bit. For some time now I've been looking to upgrade a few things in my system, cyber Monday came around and I took advantage of some sales. So after debating of who to go to, I decided MARINE DEPOT because of their sales. In my wish list I had a 57w Aqua uv sterilizer that cost me $400.34. Today I decided to instal the UV. The uv started leaking from where the wiper blade is at. So I said to myself, let me contact Aqua uv since is their product. I contact Aqua uv and spoke to a wonderful person named Alice. She told me that the proper way to install this unit was placing the Uv vertically with the wiper blade up, I had it horizontally. I said ok, let me contact marine depot. I explained to marine depot that I just opened this unit and installed it and that I wanted another unit since this one is not working. Someone named Joanne took my call. She first said to me that because the unit have already seen water MARINE DEPOT would have to charge me a restocking fee(because the item was used).... I asked Joanne how Am I supposed to know this product works without running water thru it? she didn't have an answer. Then Marine Depot wanted me to pay for a part that can potentially fix my unit, but Alice told me that more than likely I will continue to have the same issue with this unit overtime. After some back and forward with marine depot they decided to give me the plug out of curtesy. This plug will make my Uv a regular Uv without the wiper blade. So I asked marine depot to give me a credit for the difference of a regular Uv. They said no because I paid for the uv 400.34 for Cyber Monday. I don't think I was treated right in this situation. I honestly feel like I took a damage product that cost me 400.34 of marine depot hands. an even tho I got me a uv with a wiper blade and paid for one, I will now have to take replacement part to get it to work as a regular Uv not a wiper Uv. I thought that the right thing for marine depot to do was to take my return specially after me spending $2817.40 on that order and exchange it for a working unit.... and if the case was that I was getting a downgrade because this unit positioned vertically won't work me, I should of at least gotten back some type of credit back. Sorry for wasting anyones time:(.
 
Hello all. Just wanted to vent out a bit. For some time now I've been looking to upgrade a few things in my system, cyber Monday came around and I took advantage of some sales. So after debating of who to go to, I decided MARINE DEPOT because of their sales. In my wish list I had a 57w Aqua uv sterilizer that cost me $400.34. Today I decided to instal the UV. The uv started leaking from where the wiper blade is at. So I said to myself, let me contact Aqua uv since is their product. I contact Aqua uv and spoke to a wonderful person named Alice. She told me that the proper way to install this unit was placing the Uv vertically with the wiper blade up, I had it horizontally. I said ok, let me contact marine depot. I explained to marine depot that I just opened this unit and installed it and that I wanted another unit since this one is not working. Someone named Joanne took my call. She first said to me that because the unit have already seen water MARINE DEPOT would have to charge me a restocking fee(because the item was used).... I asked Joanne how Am I supposed to know this product works without running water thru it? she didn't have an answer. Then Marine Depot wanted me to pay for a part that can potentially fix my unit, but Alice told me that more than likely I will continue to have the same issue with this unit overtime. After some back and forward with marine depot they decided to give me the plug out of curtesy. This plug will make my Uv a regular Uv without the wiper blade. So I asked marine depot to give me a credit for the difference of a regular Uv. They said no because I paid for the uv 400.34 for Cyber Monday. I don't think I was treated right in this situation. I honestly feel like I took a damage product that cost me 400.34 of marine depot hands. an even tho I got me a uv with a wiper blade and paid for one, I will now have to take replacement part to get it to work as a regular Uv not a wiper Uv. I thought that the right thing for marine depot to do was to take my return specially after me spending $2817.40 on that order and exchange it for a working unit.... and if the case was that I was getting a downgrade because this unit positioned vertically won't work me, I should of at least gotten back some type of credit back. Sorry for wasting anyones time:(.

I run a AquaUV 114 watt unit with wiper on one tank and a 57 watt unit with wiper on another. Both are installed horizontally and no issues with leaks from the wiper. The directions state they can be mounted in either orientation so I believe you received incorrect info from the AquaUV customer service rep.
The only time I ever had problems with leaks from the wiper nut is when I precipitated a bunch of calcium onto the shaft of the 57 watt unit from running elevated pH and damaged the rubber grommet. Was easy to replace and resolved the issue.
My 114 watt unit did leak originally because of a crack in the housing at the wiper nut but the housing was replaced (not purchased through Marine Depot) and I have had no further issues.
I would go to the Marine Depot website and fill out the RMA request form for an exchange. I did this with a replacement transformer I purchased for my 57 watt unit that failed within the 30 day return window and had no issues. To me it sounds like you just had some bad luck with this customer service rep.
 
I run a AquaUV 114 watt unit with wiper on one tank and a 57 watt unit with wiper on another. Both are installed horizontally and no issues with leaks from the wiper. The directions state they can be mounted in either orientation so I believe you received incorrect info from the AquaUV customer service rep.
The only time I ever had problems with leaks from the wiper nut is when I precipitated a bunch of calcium onto the shaft of the 57 watt unit from running elevated pH and damaged the rubber grommet. Was easy to replace and resolved the issue.
My 114 watt unit did leak originally because of a crack in the housing at the wiper nut but the housing was replaced (not purchased through Marine Depot) and I have had no further issues.
I would go to the Marine Depot website and fill out the RMA request form for an exchange. I did this with a replacement transformer I purchased for my 57 watt unit that failed within the 30 day return window and had no issues. To me it sounds like you just had some bad luck with this customer service rep.
Thanks... originally an exchange was the first thing I asked for. They said no because I ran water thru the uv already. Aqua is sending me a new seal. Thanks again
 
Not sure why you would purchase the UV with the wiper anyway. Its main use is for fresh water. You don't need it on your reef. , so you are ok. I just purchased a new emperor 40watt @25% off during that time. I love the unit. I skipped the wiper as well because its not needed and another place for a leak.
 
Not sure why you would purchase the UV with the wiper anyway. Its main use is for fresh water. You don't need it on your reef. , so you are ok. I just purchased a new emperor 40watt @25% off during that time. I love the unit. I skipped the wiper as well because its not needed and another place for a leak.
A friend of mine has it and I liked the wiper.
 
oh ok. Well no worries. You will not need it. You have a kick butt uv sterilizer, so you will be all good.
 
oh ok. Well no worries. You will not need it. You have a kick butt uv sterilizer, so you will be all good.
Yeah. He has never had an issue with it. I had the 25w one for about 2 years and never had an issue. Thanks
 
Its time to get angry.

Call them to return all of your 2800$ purchase. Ask to speak with the manager. They will never forget you. And maybe replace the uv so you dont return your huge order.
 
Its time to get angry.

Call them to return all of your 2800$ purchase. Ask to speak with the manager. They will never forget you. And maybe replace the uv so you dont return your huge order.

I honestly thought they would understand me and at least consider that spent that much money. Plus I’m not like that. I just wanted a fix for my one unit that didn’t work. All my items purchased are all installed with no issues.
 
I honestly thought they would understand me and at least consider that spent that much money. Plus I’m not like that. I just wanted a fix for my one unit that didn’t work. All my items purchased are all installed with no issues.

Getting angry is a natural authentic response to an under appreciated problem with merchandise that is defective. I wouldnt let this rest. They made a lot of money from you, and your right about that fact. Dont step down so easily when you work hard for your money!
 
Getting angry is a natural authentic response to an under appreciated problem with merchandise that is defective. I wouldnt let this rest. They made a lot of money from you, and your right about that fact. Dont step down so easily when you work hard for your money!

I totally agree and this is why I’m doing it. So I can lead by example and let other not to eat it. I work very hard for my money. I’m a manager at a retail store and for me to get what I want I have to work extra hard. But we all lear from exp. thanks
 
I had an 57 Watt Aqua UV with the wiper arm and mounted it horizontally and it was fine. Eventually the arm pitted and the seal started to leak over a period of about 5 years.

I later replaced it with one w/o the wiper arm and a 25 Watt unit.

The 57 Watt tended to cake up with precipitate and the wiper arm was no use because of this. My guess was it was getting warm and the calcium was sticking to the glass tube. I replaced it with a 25 Watt unit which is better matched to my flow to not kill pods etc and stays clean from parcipitate and I just need to wipe off some light slime every 2-3 months.
 
I've been debating on adding a UV filter to my tank, what benefits have people really see? One day when I'm reading it seems like snake oil, the next day it makes me wonder why I didn't add one a long time ago. LOL
 
Its time to get angry.

Call them to return all of your 2800$ purchase. Ask to speak with the manager. They will never forget you. And maybe replace the uv so you dont return your huge order.

That might work, or they will call your bluff and charge the person a Restocking fee for everything! LOL I'm thinking that with $2800 worth of Merchandise, the latter would probably be more likely.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top