Aquamaxx NF-1 Protein Skimmer Help

Kiboshed

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 15, 2022
Messages
422
Reaction score
362
Location
82637
What state or country do you live in
Wyoming
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just got this model and so far is just keeps filling the cup with brown water that looks like tea in like 12-18 hours.

Trying to get that nice stinking froth instead that I only need to clean out every few days.

Have it in the back of a 32 Gal Biocube, valve is about half open on the side, keep the top of the unit level with the water level exactly as pictured in the instructions.

YouTube vids on the topic have come up with nothing helpful for this perticular model.

Appreciate any help
 
These skimmers skim wet. You could try raising it a bit but in my experience it will never produce a dry skimmate.
 
These skimmers skim wet. You could try raising it a bit but in my experience it will never produce a dry skimmate.
Sorry I am new to the hobby and especially Protein Skimmers.

What is a "wet" skim?

Thing is definitely making brown bubbles, but it has filled up the cup with overflowing tea colored water that I have to drain out every 12-15 hours
 
Sorry I am new to the hobby and especially Protein Skimmers.

What is a "wet" skim?

Thing is definitely making brown bubbles, but it has filled up the cup with overflowing tea colored water that I have to drain out every 12-15 hours
Wet skimmate is exactly like it sounds - mostly wet tea colored liquid... Dry skimmate is more frothy foam. Some skimmers skim wet, some dry, some are more adjustable than others and allows the user to choose how they want to skim... The NF-1 is limited in its ability to produce a nice dry skimmate. With that said, you can try raising it up an inch in the water to see if it helps. (neck of the collection cup should be about 4" above water line)
 
Wet skimmate is exactly like it sounds - mostly wet tea colored liquid... Dry skimmate is more frothy foam. Some skimmers skim wet, some dry, some are more adjustable than others and allows the user to choose how they want to skim... The NF-1 is limited in its ability to produce a nice dry skimmate. With that said, you can try raising it up an inch in the water to see if it helps. (neck of the collection cup should be about 4" above water line)
Interesting. So how do you know when to clean the cup out? Is it ok if it's overflowing?

I don't mean heavy liquid overflow. Just mean I noticed the gross bubbles come over the top in less than 12 hours.
 
Got it to work. Pulled it about 3 inches above the water and have the valve all the way open. Getting nice frothy bubbles all the way to the top and the try is filling up with brown liquid much slower.
 
You still using this? How is the skim on it?
Yes. Still works great after a bit of trial and error. For my tank I have to keep the top well above the water line and the release valve all the way open.
 
Yes. Still works great after a bit of trial and error. For my tank I have to keep the top well above the water line and the release valve all the way open.
I'm confused about this skimmer. It's the first one I got, but everywhere I hear about adjusting skimmer air flow. But this skimmer doesn't seem to have adjustable air intake. Can this be rectified in any way?
 
I'm confused about this skimmer. It's the first one I got, but everywhere I hear about adjusting skimmer air flow. But this skimmer doesn't seem to have adjustable air intake. Can this be rectified in any way?
If it doesn’t have one you adjust the bubbles by lowering or raising the skimmer.

Lowering tends to make the bubbles go higher, raising the bubbles go lower.

Adjust very slightly as it takes a few minutes or even more to see the affect.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top