AquaMaxx Sulfur Denitrator TS-1

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fudsey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
A quick update. My flow rate is at about 110ml per minute. I update it from 92 ml per minute. It is probably psychosomatic but my fish really do look happier. I can't wait to test my DT nitrates on Friday. I am expecting them to be below 20ppm for the first time in two years.
 
A quick update. My flow rate is at about 110ml per minute. I update it from 92 ml per minute. It is probably psychosomatic but my fish really do look happier. I can't wait to test my DT nitrates on Friday. I am expecting them to be below 20ppm for the first time in two years.
Glad things are looking up.
I would avoid large changes at one time. 92 to 110 is about a 10% increase.
I would shoot for half of that over a couple days.
10% over a week or so.
This help you better understand your systems capabilities as well.
This is definitely more important once you get down towatlrds your target level.
 
Glad things are looking up.
I would avoid large changes at one time. 92 to 110 is about a 10% increase.
I would shoot for half of that over a couple days.
10% over a week or so.
This help you better understand your systems capabilities as well.
This is definitely more important once you get down towatlrds your target level.
That makes sense.
 
Glad things are looking up.
I would avoid large changes at one time. 92 to 110 is about a 10% increase.
I would shoot for half of that over a couple days.
10% over a week or so.
This help you better understand your systems capabilities as well.
This is definitely more important once you get down towatlrds your target level.
My DT NO3 is now at 15.8PPM down from 46.7PPM on 3/17. My flow rate is 110ml per minute. What happens when I get to sub 1PPM NO3 in the DT? Does the bacteria die off or does it go dormant? Do I need to decrease or increase my flow rate when I get to near zero NO3 in the DT? Since it is a FOWLR I want my NO3 to be zero in the DT. Also, are there any negatives to continual increases in the flow rate while there is still NO3 in the DT?
 
Glad things are looking up.
I would avoid large changes at one time. 92 to 110 is about a 10% increase.
I would shoot for half of that over a couple days.
10% over a week or so.
This help you better understand your systems capabilities as well.
This is definitely more important once you get down towatlrds your target level.
My DT NO3 is now at 15.8PPM down from 46.7PPM on 3/17. My flow rate is 110ml per minute. What happens when I get to sub 1PPM NO3 in the DT? Does the bacteria die off or does it go dormant? Do I need to decrease or increase my flow rate when I get to near zero NO3 in the DT? Since it is a FOWLR I want my NO3 to be zero in the DT. Also, are there any negatives to continual increases in the flow rate while there is still NO3 in the DT?
I found a response you gave to the same question on another thread. I'm good. Thank you!
 
Quick question. Now that my NO3 is in the low single digits I noticed my alkalinity is not being consumed as fast. I assume this is because the alkalinity drop was directly associated with the conversion of NO3 to Nitrogen Gas and not the mere presence of sulfur. So with less NO3, the drop is reduced. Is my assumption correct?
 
Quick question. Now that my NO3 is in the low single digits I noticed my alkalinity is not being consumed as fast. I assume this is because the alkalinity drop was directly associated with the conversion of NO3 to Nitrogen Gas and not the mere presence of sulfur. So with less NO3, the drop is reduced. Is my assumption correct?
Yup. I don’t think sulfur lowers alk at all. It’s the breakdown of your previous high no3. Now just make sure the water coming out doesn’t smell like sulfur as those bacteria that were eating your no3 may now start consuming the sulfur. Hence tweaking the flow and amount of sulfur in reactor to maintain desired no3 levels, without the sulfur smell.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top