Aquamaxx WS-1 for Biocube 32?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Madonia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Madonia

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2020
Messages
393
Reaction score
271
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

has anyone successfully put in the aquamaxx ws1 into the back of the biocube32?

I bought this protein skimmer yesterday as it looks like it would most definitely perform.

but I the only way I see it fitting in the back is if I cut holes either into the intank media basket OR take down the wall between the 2nd and 3rd chamber (which I don’t understand why this wall even exists?)

Any info is appreciated!
 
Hello,

saw you had a few other threads but was not sure if this question got answered in any or them, or if you came across this so I figured I would post it just in case

 
I have a WS1 in the middle chamber. I really don’t think it’s neccessary to run a media basket in there. My only filtration is the skimmer and a bunch of live rock in the tank.
 
Yes, I have a WS1 in the middle chamber of my old oceanic biocube 28. It is in the middle chamber along with the media rack. I put a small shelf made out of the lighting grid stuff under the WS1 and yes, drilled a hole in the side of the media basket for the intake of the WS1. I slide the two in/out as one unit. Works pretty well for me. I've been very happy with the setup.

If you do this, and you hang anything in the lower chamber of the media basket (chemipure for example), hang it closer to the wall away from the WS1 intake. This way it doesn't impede the intake. I can take a pick next time I do a water change if you'd like so you can see how it all lines up.

Thanks,
Joe
 
Yes, I have a WS1 in the middle chamber of my old oceanic biocube 28. It is in the middle chamber along with the media rack. I put a small shelf made out of the lighting grid stuff under the WS1 and yes, drilled a hole in the side of the media basket for the intake of the WS1. I slide the two in/out as one unit. Works pretty well for me. I've been very happy with the setup.

If you do this, and you hang anything in the lower chamber of the media basket (chemipure for example), hang it closer to the wall away from the WS1 intake. This way it doesn't impede the intake. I can take a pick next time I do a water change if you'd like so you can see how it all lines up.

Thanks,
Joe
Would love to see pictures of how you did this!! I hope the skimmer is working out for you!
 
How do you mechanically filter out any debris that may get into the skimmer?
 
Skimmer is after (so looking at tank, to the left of) the media basket. Media basket has filter floss in top chamber. Skimmer pulls water from bottom chamber. Skimmer sits on a shelf so intake lines up with top portion of lower chamber. Pics will make it more clear.
 
Skimmer is after (so looking at tank, to the left of) the media basket. Media basket has filter floss in top chamber. Skimmer pulls water from bottom chamber. Skimmer sits on a shelf so intake lines up with top portion of lower chamber. Pics will make it more clear.
Can you send pics?
 
Skimmer is after (so looking at tank, to the left of) the media basket. Media basket has filter floss in top chamber. Skimmer pulls water from bottom chamber. Skimmer sits on a shelf so intake lines up with top portion of lower chamber. Pics will make it more clear.
Sorry I’m aware that you’ll send pics but it will need time! I thought I was responding to a different comment
 
Here are the pics I promised. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Joe

20200211_162623.jpg


20200211_162628.jpg


20200211_163045.jpg


20200211_163027.jpg


20200211_163141.jpg
 
Here are the pics I promised. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Joe

20200211_162623.jpg


20200211_162628.jpg


20200211_163045.jpg


20200211_163027.jpg


20200211_163141.jpg
I got the general picture! Looks good.

only problem is I have the biocube 32. There is no back opening. So I may have to cut out part of the hood for the top of the skimmer. OR think about another modification without compromising the hood.
 
I got the general picture! Looks good.

only problem is I have the biocube 32. There is no back opening. So I may have to cut out part of the hood for the top of the skimmer. OR think about another modification without compromising the hood.
I wonder if I can make cuts into the wall dividing chambers 2& 3?? I don’t know why that chamber exists, anyway
 
I have a WS1 in the middle chamber. I really don’t think it’s neccessary to run a media basket in there. My only filtration is the skimmer and a bunch of live rock in the tank.
How has this worked out for you.
 
I am thinking of running my media reactor and protein skimmer in the middle chamber and seeing how it turns out . I am only worried about missing my carbon filter floss.
 
A little late to this thread but I’m wondering for those using this skimmer in their aio box for their tank, how long it took you to break it in. I’m having a huge issue with micro bubbles and overflowing when trying to run it in the aio box for my tank.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top