AQUANAUT's 300g PHEONIX Rebuild Project

3D918369-9618-4EA3-8DFE-C36A1532CDDD.jpeg
 
What is the coral at the bottom right of the 6th photo? I see it a lot & really like it.
That is a mature Old School, Gold Scroll with large polyps. It began as a 2” frag 13yrs ago and now is a dinnerplate.
 
I am sitting here kind of speechless. Thinking that looking at your tank really inspires me. I truly hope that if I put in the Effort, Time, Care and Heart that I will end up with a tank as STUNNING Beautiful as yours. Thank You for letting me in your home to see this..... Bow's at the feet of Greatness to kiss the ring.
 
Is that a puffer fish in the beginning. I would like to add one in a future build but I was afraid they would get along with other fish.
That is my Spiny Box Puffer and he actually blows up anytime he is suprised by someone new. He will eat any CUC that is slow to move away. He does allow Cleaner shrimp to attend him and doesn’t bother my Seahare. “Spike” is eating TDO pellet, Algea waffers, froz mysis and prawn scraps from “Shadow” the Zebra Eel.
5378122C-502A-4984-8F14-877725F71193.jpeg

735BF094-80DF-4899-AC6C-AD8BC0B40784.jpeg
 
Phoenix Project is living up to its name. I’m sorry to report my long lapse on this forum, but much of the reef suffered heavy colony losses. Feb 2020 thru April, every WC delivered more relentless die-off. Oddly LPS and Gorgonians not affected and flourishing. An ICP test showed a build up of excessive elements to my ULNS system. That triggered STN, ALK burn and snowballing nutrient spikes from all the die-off that filled 4 buckets over time. I switch salt brand to better accommodate a ULNS ratio and flushed the system. 4 months later, I’m seeing small areas on the baserock coloring up with cyphestrea heads, monti and Spongeodis. I look forward to plant new frags this month. A new Phoenix is rising again.
 
Phoenix Project is living up to its name. I’m sorry to report my long lapse on this forum, but much of the reef suffered heavy colony losses. Feb 2020 thru April, every WC delivered more relentless die-off. Oddly LPS and Gorgonians not affected and flourishing. An ICP test showed a build up of excessive elements to my ULNS system. That triggered STN, ALK burn and snowballing nutrient spikes from all the die-off that filled 4 buckets over time. I switch salt brand to better accommodate a ULNS ratio and flushed the system. 4 months later, I’m seeing small areas on the baserock coloring up with cyphestrea heads, monti and Spongeodis. I look forward to plant new frags this month. A new Phoenix is rising again.
What salt were you using and do you think it was the salt that was delivering high elements?
 
I don’t wish to brand bash, as bad batches do happen to even the best. I was unfortunate to go thru two 200g mix boxes that crashed the SPS. The same brand served me well since begining the system over a year ago. A LFS advised ICP as they struggled recently with losses too. My ICP had excessive build up of elements that were damming to my ULNS levels beyond recovery. After 600g mixes in WC with RS Blue and dosing NOPOX, its bringing balance to my ULNS system.
 
2021 Happier healthier New Year.
Update on the system. SPS are still touch’n go when my Alk rises above 8DKH. I have seen returning growth of cyphestria, Spongeodis and monti out of dead heads as after maintaining Nitrate 8-12ppm and Phos .08-.12. I’m not going to chase nutrient numbers, as my system has only suffered to keep lower numbers. I still have no Algea growing anywhere that the snails are weakening and fish are picking them off slowly.
2FF15ED2-BF01-4604-8C2C-A86E5FCDFE7A.jpeg
9FA1BD7C-53FD-4CF0-9CC7-4718BA80D53A.jpeg
6CE986D6-2BE1-4276-9E68-25BF00D61F33.jpeg
3898DF5F-0CE3-4B90-A829-2C40D294F620.jpeg
D9EA14C2-196C-4CF8-BA5C-1559E0632284.jpeg
C7B18C88-D178-4C85-AA93-D7940A65D2B9.jpeg
 
That’s looking beautiful and great pictures!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top