This came up as a suggested article. I'm glad I read it over a year later.
I have two thoughts that stuck out to me.
Tank stability between small and large tanks - I think the point was missed on this one. I agree that if all things were equal both smaller and larger aquariums would be just as stable. However, I would call it fat finger syndrome. Humans make mistakes and those mistakes can kill everything or have no impact. For example, if I screw up and dose more kalkwasser than I should in my 300 gallon, the impact is going to be pretty minimal unless I dump 20 gallons in. However. I screwed up once and put a pump in a 5 gallon bucket to keep my kalkwasser saturated in around 3 gallons of kalkwasser. I dosed based on top off in a 55 gallon. By the end of the day it killed everything in the tank. I was able to rescue a couple fish that were still a live and move to a QT, but lost all corals and most fish.
The issue is not stability, it's the human behind the stability. One mistake in 55 gallons or less can equal disaster. The same mistake in a 100+ gallons can maybe mean a couple fish are impacted, but not a significant issue.
The second issue - voltage:
I Had a heater go bad, it was connected to an apex, which was connected to a GFCI outlet. I didn't realize what was happening for 3 weeks, but I lost 2-3 fish a week. (I only had 16 fish or so). I couldn't figure out why, each fish had different symptoms, some had signs of uronemea (pink patches), some had signs of disaease, some just no signs of anything, just fell over dead. My corals grew faster than ever. (LPS and SPS). Couldn't figure out what the heck is going on until an LFS Said to check for voltage. That there's scientific articles out there about scientists using electrified metal plates in the ocean to accelerate regrowth of corals in reefs.
I told him I don't feel anything when I'm cleaning the tank, he said I have to form a ground to feel it. Bare feet and or touch something grounded with my hand in the water. Or a voltage meter. I tried a meter and couldn't get a solid reading no matter what setting I used nor how I grounded it. So, I used my own body, barefoot and touching something I thought was grounded. Immediately I felt my hair stand up. It was a constant buzz. I eventually powered a device off 1 at a time and discovered it was 1 of my two heaters.
I had a black long nose tang left alive in the tank and my sump was in my fish room, so I tested it a couple times to ensure I got the right device. I turned the heater back on and ran to view the tang and it started swimming in circles. I unplugged the heater and immediately the tang stopped swimming in circles and swam normally. I threw both heaters away and bought new ones.
I don't know why my apex power bar didn't do anything nor the gfci didn't trip, but based on my testing, it seemed the electricity going into the tank was constant. It wasn't oscillating up and down. I don't know how electricity works, but it definitely killed my fish and caused my corals to grow faster in the 3 weeks it was leaking in the tank.
I still have the black tang 6 years later. He's my most docile and friendly fish. Wants to be friends with everyone. He's probably less depressed due to his shock therapy. But, no signs of mental decline. Feeds great, loves nori, sleeps peacefully, no observable residual issues with him.