Aquascaping with Fish in the Tank, Bad Idea?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2020
Messages
1,997
Reaction score
1,986
Location
Merritt, BC
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is almost completely gone from my tank, and it will soon be time to rebuild!

My question is, how bad of an idea is it to aquascape with fish in the tank? I'm guessing it would be pretty stressful, but just checking to see what would be recommended. I'd hate to go chasing my fish around to catch them if I don't have to.

I'm thinking a better idea might be to drain ~60% of the water or so into a bin with the fish (it will be two fish, small clown and Marine betta), air stone, etc, while I add the sand and stick rocks together.
 
It'll be stressful for the fish either way, as long as you don't drop a rock on them (and you're not going to be stirring up a huge amount of sand/detritus) then my inclination is to avoid chasing them around the tank and scooping them up.

However, if you can catch them with a fish trap then my vote is 100% catch and move to a new location while rescaping.
 
Currently a totally bare tank except for pvc fittings. Clean sand and clean rock would be going in.

Don't have a fish trap, but looks like they are easy enough to diy. Problem is my Marine Betta is one cagey Sob. Definitely going to try a trap though. Thank you.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top