Aqueon 75 Gallon From Petco All Sides Tempered?

Just found out the hard way mine is tempered glass. Petco told me it wasn’t and they were nice enough to give me a gift card for the price. Reading on aqueon it only says the bottom is temper but then it says if they are running low on glass they may switch to tempered.

7AE29B32-8998-4542-A982-DDC9C72D831A.jpeg

Yep. Same happened to me with a 75g from them last year. Glad you got your money back! I wasnt so lucky.
 
Sorry to hear. It’s like a punch in the gut when it happens
 
Did it not seem tempered when you checked it with the polarised glasses trick?
I found this thread too late. Didn’t know about that. Just went by there being a stamp on the bottom that said tempered and the website saying the bottom is tempered. So figured by that the sides were good. Definitely going to use that truck today when I look for my replacement tank
 
2 yrs ago when I bought my Aqueon 75g my lfs told me all panels were tempered. So I bought an overflow box and modified to the bean animal. How do I find out if its tempered when it's full of water? I know this thread is old but maybe I get lucky. If not I'll just drain some and do the laptop trick
 
The bottom glass today has a mark showing it's tempered. All the sizes don't have that mark. Petco confirmed that only the bottom glass is tempered, showing that mark. Perhaps today they are selling their 75gal. with only the bottom glass tempered as a rule.
1665823084590.png

1665823101648.png
 
Last edited:
Test it before you drill. Aqueon is pretty much unpredictable in which sides are tempered or not. The only one guaranteed is the bottom. I've got one and was able to drill the back safely, but I did test first.
 
So a pair of Costas would work? What do you look for?
 
The bottom glass today has a mark showing it's tempered. All the sizes don't have that mark. Petco confirmed that only the bottom glass is tempered, showing that mark. Perhaps today they are selling their 75gal. with only the bottom glass tempered as a rule.
1665823084590.png

1665823101648.png
Did you drill your tank? Successful?
 
There you go!
Aqueon will tell you they will not warranty or condone drilling.

Whether the glass is tempered or not is also something they can’t and won’t tell you over the phone as they aren’t consistent about it. They fabricate out of any glass they have to hand on a given day as long as it meets their strength requirements for the tank - including varying thickness from one tank to the next as long as the thinner thickness (and temper) is OK.

You’ve got to either test the glass using the polarization methods (and then void your warranty when you drill) or use a siphon overflow.

Bear in mind not all computer screen types work these days, the newer phone screens aren’t polarized.
 
I tried the sunglasses trick on my Aqueon 75 tank and the sides blacked out. Unfortunately, so did the bottom which is supposed to be tempered… so idk what to think.

Mine to has the sticker at bottom that says “do not drill glass enclosure.” I got the tank in 2017.
 
I tried the sunglasses trick on my Aqueon 75 tank and the sides blacked out. Unfortunately, so did the bottom which is supposed to be tempered… so idk what to think.

Mine to has the sticker at bottom that says “do not drill glass enclosure.” I got the tank in 2017.
The view with the glasses can be confusing. Go look at the glass on your car, test the drivers window. I know its tempered, you can see the layer of silicone or what ever they put in it. This will give you more info to what your looking at.

Edit: the windshield is not what you need to test. The door glass is tempered.
 
The view with the glasses can be confusing. Go look at the glass on your car, test the drivers window. I know its tempered, you can see the layer of silicone or what ever they put in it. This will give you more info to what your looking at.

Edit: the windshield is not what you need to test. The door glass is tempered.
Yeah I already did that as I said before. There was no difference between the car windows and my fish tank. They all blacked out with my glasses. Hence I don’t trust that method and won’t drill the tank.
 
I don't go by the black out, you can actually see the layer between the glass, my aqeon 40b blacked out, but did not see the layering. I drilled the back just fine. but its your tank, your choice. I don't call myself a professional
 
Just found out the hard way mine is tempered glass. Petco told me it wasn’t and they were nice enough to give me a gift card for the price. Reading on aqueon it only says the bottom is temper but then it says if they are running low on glass they may switch to tempered.

7AE29B32-8998-4542-A982-DDC9C72D831A.jpeg
I had the same thing happen…….pure disappointment.
 
It's not blacking out you're looking for. Turn and rotate the polarized lens and watch the magic.

For those interested.

 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top