Are 8 bulb t5 worth the cost per year?

Absolutely! You are talking $4000 for an equivalent spread in g30s. If you got 4k to burn go led. I prefer hybrid metal halide and t5 though.
 
T5 are not need to grow corals. You can have a very nice tank with just LED.
You save money, you save electricity and your tank won’t over heat. If I had to change a t5 bulb I would kill myself. My whole house is LED lights and I haven’t changed a bulb in 5yrs.

T5 bulbs are a huge money maker for the LFS and online store. BRS makes a killing selling t5 bulbs. They keep pushing that light source because it’s $$$ for them.

Little overboard here.
 
If you have a 150 gallon tank and do a 15% water change every two weeks you use a bucket of salt every 15 weeks. For average salt that's about $20 per month. Is changing 160 bucks worth of bulbs every 12-18 months a big deal? Especially when you saved like 2k right off the get go?
 
If you have a 150 gallon tank and do a 15% water change every two weeks you use a bucket of salt every 15 weeks. For average salt that's about $20 per month. Is changing 160 bucks worth of bulbs every 12-18 months a big deal? Especially when you saved like 2k right off the get go?
very good point
 
I'm going with at ATI 8 bulb with a couple reef breeder lumenbars to get the best of both worlds on my new tank.

I just couldn't stomach the costs it would take to get nice coverage with LEDs. I got the ATI during the 20% off sale so it was a no brainer.
 
This is a few months old but I’m wondering the same thing.
@neltel_7

Pocci possess a relatively unique survival capability. If they stress, they will do a polyp bailout and can spread themselves all over the tank. I really don't think it is that common, but I have seen pictures here of pocci covered rocks and people scraping off and putty over to stop them from spreading.
 
@neltel_7

Pocci possess a relatively unique survival capability. If they stress, they will do a polyp bailout and can spread themselves all over the tank. I really don't think it is that common, but I have seen pictures here of pocci covered rocks and people scraping off and putty over to stop them from spreading.
Really, I need to google that. It sounds pretty cool
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top