Are all pH calibration solutions created equal? Calibrating my alkatronic pH probe.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
38,516
Reaction score
67,449
Location
Fontana, California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, so this is probably a stupid question, but does it matter where I get my calibration solution for calibrating my alkatronic's pH probe? Do I need to get the stuff specifically put out for that unit, or will pH calibration solution I find on Amazon be adequate?
 
OK, so this is probably a stupid question, but does it matter where I get my calibration solution for calibrating my alkatronic's pH probe? Do I need to get the stuff specifically put out for that unit, or will pH calibration solution I find on Amazon be adequate?
I think the individual packs are better than the multi use bottles but I have never had a bad “brand”.
 
Some meters require certain pH values for calibration, so as long as you match those pH values, brand is unimportant.

Some meters allow any pH values for calibration, and in that case, you can use anything that spans the range of interest.
 
I got higher readings when calibrating same probe with Neptune solutions vs pinpoint solutions.

It could just be a bad batch.
 
I would pay attention to the expiry dates and use fresh packets. I might have had a problem with this once...
 
There are also packets of dry powder or tablets that you mix with anywhere from 20-250 mL of distilled/RO/DI water. They generally have a longer shelf life, are cheaper, and take up much less space.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top