Are clownfish a must have for your tank?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2008
Messages
4,836
Reaction score
102
Location
Bardstown, KY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I've been in the hobby, I've always felt like my tank had to have a clownfish or pair in the tank. I'm assuming I'm not alone since they are by the far the most fish available and probably sold to the aquarium hobby. However, I'm debating on whether to get some for this tank or not.

What are your thoughts on clownfish? Do you feel they are a "required" fish for your tank?
 
I really like the clownfish as they are really colorful and tend to be attention grabbers. They are even better with a nem to host...
 
YES! To me they are the staple fish for every aquarium. :D

CLOWNFISH LOVERS UNITE!!
 
I have had a pair in every one of my reefs so far.

Dave Polzin
 
I really like the clownfish as they are really colorful and tend to be attention grabbers. They are even better with a nem to host...

Watching clownfish in a anemone is by far one of the greatest spectacles to watch in your tank. Watching them dive into the nem, bring food over to feed it is so much fun to watch. Personally, I like to have a tank with a lot of activity, and I've found in the past that once I put in a anemone, the clownfish tend to hover right around it and not swim around the tank as much.

YES! To me they are the staple fish for every aquarium. :D

CLOWNFISH LOVERS UNITE!!

Right on Rev :tongue: I think you are not alone on this thought, so I figured it would make a great conversation.
 
Always man and if you get some to host a bta it's a symbolic relationship that can't be beat.... I have gotten a few people into the hobby just because they wanted clowns haha... My first tank had some clarki's that hosted a rose bubble tip and that keeps me coming back... Being able to drop silversides anywhere in my tank and watching a clown grab it from my hand and feed the nem is pricless... Almost like having a trained show dog haha.... It's to cool to pass up IMHO...
 
when non reefers come over that is all they focus on the clown & nem. kinda irritating as they really are/were the least amount of work=reward for me and wish I had gone with a different clown I have a maroon yellow stripe that is now dark with only 2 tiny stripes on top of its back to me compared to the brighter clowns its dull & ugly not to mention it loves loves loves the taste of my blood!
 
I always have them even though I sometimes think they can be destructive to corals if they don't have an anemone in the tank with them. Then the anemones can be a problem in a reef tank. But I still have to have them for some reason. They are fun to watch.
 
I knew I wasn't in the same boat, haha. Its amazing how one type of fish can almost become the staple of the hobby.
 
no, I seem to typically end up with a pair but not for every tank recently I pulled out my clowns from my display and put them in the frag tank. I don't have any anenomes in my display and they just hung out in a corner and bit me when I moved frags.
 
I have three pairs of clowns, they are a must have especially with all the different flavors they are available in now.
 
from peaceful to just downright nasty personality's and I think the only color clown you cant get is blue
(yet lol) there is something for everybody in the clownfish species! (how could you say to nemo lol)
 
yes, they are a must have! you didnt know that nothing in your tank will survive unless you have the secret power of the clown?! I mean things might be okay for awhile, but sooner than later it will all go down hill. :wink:
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top