Are female emerald crabs safe for zoas?

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 22, 2020
Messages
99
Reaction score
16
Location
Baltimore
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that emerald crabs will attack zoas, but that female emerald crabs are apparently reef safe. Can I trust female emerald crabs to not attack my zoas? i plan to stock some emerald crabs in my pico reef which is mostly zoas and shrooms to control bryopsis and hair algae.
 
I've heard that emerald crabs will attack zoas, but that female emerald crabs are apparently reef safe. Can I trust female emerald crabs to not attack my zoas? i plan to stock some emerald crabs in my pico reef which is mostly zoas and shrooms to control bryopsis and hair algae.
If your zooanthids are not healthy I've witnessed emerald crabs munching them. Never a healthy colony though.
 
I have always been told that females are less prone to eating corals. Had a male as a hitch hiker one time and witnessed him going ham on a frag of pipe organ. Needless to say he went back to lfs and was the last emerald crab I have had.
 
they will eat other corals too, keep the crab very well fed or they will find other things in your tank to eat
 
My emerald in my shroom/zoa pico tank is a model citizen. I actually wish he would eat my sexy shrimp that I can’t catch. I put the sexy in there before I knew they munch on zoa lashes.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top