Are there any pests that eat chalices?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jurg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Jurg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 25, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
111
Location
Ft. Lauderdale,FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been thriving with chalices for the past 3-4 years and all the sudden over the past 2 months I started noticing my chalices receding. Water has been tested and have done water changes and it still continues to happen.

Is anyone aware of any pests that might eat at chalices?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1441246937.998606.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1441246965.981944.jpg
 
My first guess would be parameters being off. Specifically alk swings.
 
I'm about to put a bubble magus doses on, hopefully this weekend. I've been dosing every morning and testing weekly. I will test alk and others tomorrow just to see if something is out of whack.
 
Alk swings and High Phosphates are suspect. Once receding has begun bacteria can enter tissue and get what I call The Chalice Cancer. Try dipping after pars are balanced.
 
dont know of any pests. do you have hermit crabs in there? they are typically not the primary culprit tho, when there are other problems and chalices about to give up, i have seen hermit crabs feast on them and eat away the healthy parts too. How do you dose your alk/calcium ? whats the mag like ? experts can chime in, but i would cut the dead part away and superglue the edges, i have saved many like that
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top