Are these Palys bad for my tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Peekay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Peekay

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2018
Messages
90
Reaction score
53
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to clean up my tank a bit and this rock with the palys was one of the first rocks I got from a fellow reefer a couple of years ago. They've propagated quite a bit, and was wondering if I should eliminate or cull them a bit? Not sure if they're toxic or not?


paly.jpg
 
They will continue to grow, and crowd out other corals.
Think about trimming some and trading other Reefers for something else.
 
I think going this long with them having no problems until recent headlines caused mass panic speaks volumes about their toxicity to reefers. you've been fine because its not a huge deal.

those are run to the hills palys depending on which city you get the assessment from. in Lubbock texas they're 52.99$ and a coral we'd trade in normally, new tankers included.

in other cities, you'd run to the hills flailing. those are the flailers but its a regional assessment for sure.
 
They are not necessarily bad for your tank, but they are very invasive and hold a ton of palytoxin.

I would personally just try to get rid of them because they will grow over other corals and your tank.
 
Very toxic. I once got cute and decided to scrub, underwater, these pale green palys for eradication.. not thinking about my exposed arm in the tank. :eek:

The day after, I had moderate/mild palytoxin poisoning that felt like a 4day bout of the Flu.

Respect these pale green boogers, they have the potential to be dangerous if you are unwise to palytoxin precautions
 
They won’t hurt anything other than growing fast and crowding other corals. Frag them off and trade them. Palytoxin is over exaggerated. Yes it can make you very ill, it’s happened to me. Wear proper gloves and frag outside your tank and your in more danger of a shark attack in Oklahoma than a palytoxin issue.
 
Is the water toxic when you have palys? I assume not. But will nitrile gloves protect well enough when handling them?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top