Are Triggerfish and Butterflyfish too big for a 90 gal?

TriggeredFish

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2018
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on my wishlist I have a longnose butterfly and a bluethroat trigger. Through my research these fish can become a pretty good size and I would not want to be cruel to these animals by stuffing them in a small space. The tank is around 93 gallons and is a fish only tank with lots of live rock. Current tank members are a longnose hawk, bluespotted toby and a golden dwarf eel with a bit of a brain injury. Maybe a small angel and a mid size wrasse will be there in the future, haven't decided on the rest of the tank. If I had these fish would they bully the other fish or outgrow the tank?
 
Dimensions of the tank? A 4 foot length tank would work for a Bluethroat trigger and some species of butterfly.
 
I can’t speak but on butterflyfish, but triggers in the genus of the blue throat triggers would be ok. Only one though, not a pair.

The Niger trigger, in the genus Odonus, will be ok as a juvenile, but will need more space as they mature.

Triggers such as the Picasso and clown get giant and aggressive. Picasso need a 6ft long tank and clowns a 6-8ft long tank.
 
The tank is 4 feet in length, and 2 feet in width and height. These are estimates as the tank is rounded on the sides. We did confirm it was about 93 gallons though.
 
Blue throat would be perfect. Very often they do not max out at their listed Max. Butterfly should be fine. I have seen one in a much smaller tank before. And just feed them well to lessen the aggression. Triggers are aggressive by nature but good feedings and setting them up a proper little niche for them to sleep goes a long way.
 
All triggers as adults will be too big for a standard 90 (2*2*4), Imo

There are a few smaller butterflies that would be fine in a 90. Pearlscale and its close relative Mertins, for example. Not sure on the longnosed.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top