Are you using NOPOX for biological nutrient control? | BRStv Spotlight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2014
Messages
2,124
Reaction score
3,973
Location
Minneapolis, MN
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers!

There's quite a few reefers who use NOPOX for their nutrient control and given how easy it is to dose and how successful they are with using it, it's easy to see why. Today we discuss how NOPOX can work for your tank and how you can dial it in for your tank goals!

 
I use NoPox in my Nanocube 28 gallon tank, dosing at 3 ml per week. This is primarily a softie/LPS tank, so I'm not looking for ultra low nutrient levels, but using this method it has been difficult to get nitrates below 10-15 ppm (I've reduced feeding and performed water changes, but the tank never goes below 10 ppm). I've also been battling cyano ever since starting with NoPox dosing and would like to know more about how the product may lead to outbreaks. Thanks for producing this video!
 
I received a bottle once in a bucket of Red Sea Pro Corals salt. I tried it a couple times on different tanks. Soon after the first dose I ended up with a Cyanno outbreak in all the tanks. Since I have discontinued using it. I don't think its for everyone. Seems cyanno is a common side effect.
 
I use 2ml daily in my 40g. I’m getting ready to dose less because the nitrates are undetectable and it’s an LPS tank. Great product and super easy to use.
 
I received a bottle once in a bucket of Red Sea Pro Corals salt. I tried it a couple times on different tanks. Soon after the first dose I ended up with a Cyanno outbreak in all the tanks. Since I have discontinued using it. I don't think its for everyone. Seems cyanno is a common side effect.

I've heard the same sentiments echoed among some reefers who've tried it. I would probably guess that many of those cases could be attributed to overdosing or when the recommended dose is likely too much for the system. I've always found it best practice to start with a half or quarter dose, not only for things like this but even things like medications or cyano removers. With smaller doses you can always scale up, which isn't the opposite with larger doses. :)
 
I've heard the same sentiments echoed among some reefers who've tried it. I would probably guess that many of those cases could be attributed to overdosing or when the recommended dose is likely too much for the system. I've always found it best practice to start with a half or quarter dose, not only for things like this but even things like medications or cyano removers. With smaller doses you can always scale up, which isn't the opposite with larger doses. :)
I started at 1/4 dose to be safe and have never had a cyano problem. I’ve read that it’s more effective if you lower super high nitrates with water changes first. It does get some slime on the glass but it’s not too bad. I love the stuff.
 
I've heard the same sentiments echoed among some reefers who've tried it. I would probably guess that many of those cases could be attributed to overdosing or when the recommended dose is likely too much for the system. I've always found it best practice to start with a half or quarter dose, not only for things like this but even things like medications or cyano removers. With smaller doses you can always scale up, which isn't the opposite with larger doses. :)
Forgot to mention I used a smaller than recommended dose. Still ended up with Cyano.:mad:
 
I use to use NOPOX but now I’m at pretty much zero nutritirents and having a hard time raising them and maintaining them :/
 
I use this daily but opposed to the recommended 3 m/l per day, I only do One ( in a 360g system)
 
Started nopox two years ago, developed a pink slime over my sump..so I switched to vinegar...nitrates claimed to 80. Restarted nopox had the same issue, but after 3 weeks it resolved. Nitrates less than 5
 
I have been using NOPOX in my mixed DT for about a month. I dose 1 ml per day in my 33 gal tank, taking care to follow the instructions to use a skimmer. I use no GFS or carbon. This product brought my phosphates down from 0.03 to 0.00 (Hanna Checker) so that I now dose 0.5 ml per day. It also effectively stopped and is slowly eradicating an early onset of cyano algae. I plan to keep using it in the future, as it works as advertised.
 
Using nopox and has worked great at reducing nutrients in my 43g mixed. It potent stuff so watch the dosages closely. I let Nitrates get to zero and corals started to fade a bit. Dialed it back a and now sitting between 1 and 2 and corals starting to thrive.

It's a good idea to increase how often you test for NO3 after starting nopox. It can drop really fast if you're not careful.
 
I’ve been using Nopox for over 2 years and have had great success with it in my mixed reef as far as nitrate control is concerned, less so with phosphate

I have a very high bioload and nitrates run at around 15ppm and currently slightly higher. I have around 650 litres (550 after displacement) and usually dose 18ml per day, but am currently at 22ml per day to bring nitrate down a bit.

I think it’s a very useful tool, but also very powerful so you need to use it and monitor as per the instructions and don’t drive nutrients to low.
 
I’ve been using nopox during cycling tanks and continued on. It accelerates the cycle significantly and it’s a handy tool for nutrient control. even in my 140 Gal system that has 0.25 no3 and 0.01 PO4 I still dose 1mil/day just to keep the door open to increasing dose in case I needed it. The only downside I find is the ph drop when it’s dosed but at 1mil now the drop is negligible.
 
What is the difference between NoPox and Vibrance?
 
I've used NoPox and Vibrant. Both worked for me. They are different products, but have similar results (algae management, clear water).

I stopped using Vibrant and went back to only using NoPox because the Vibrant decimated my chaeto. Keep an eye on your macro algae if you use Vibrant.
 
Great results with nopox. We used bio pellets for over 8 years and got tired of replacing pumps and messing with reactors, etc. Gave nopox a try and it really simplified things. Started slow and tested often. After 3 weeks I was up to the recommended dose and never had bad side effects. It is powerful so I always recommend testing often so you can make the necessary adjustments.
 
Any negative effects on tanks with nems?
I can't speak for all anemones but I have a 210 gallon with about 10 of them and they are fine. I am only about a week and a half into dosing NoPox but so far everything is really stable. I've read about it and vinegar and vodka but chose an off the shelf instead. Dosing 1/4 the amount and will slowly raise it every 3rd day if required until I see a change or reach max dose recommendation (which I'm no where near yet). Dosing manually here also. Was going to set up my dosing pump but I received some good feed back in another thread so it is manual until I see what it is doing longer term.

I'm using it to control high Nitrates. I was asked how high and they are in the high color chart using Red Seas test kit. It is consistent so either it is indeed 50 and over or I'm consistently testing wrong :) I'm looking to get it closer to 10 since I keep a mixed reef. It is a recently cycled tank (March 2018) and then moved by 40 breeder into it in April. Tank still has a way to mature but I've started to notice my Hammer not has happy and above all Xenia was growing but now shriveled up and not happy. I think both are due to higher Nitrates.

I don't believe a 20 - 25% water change will lower my Nitrates by an equal amount. So I ruled that out. GFO does not seem to be cost effective. Carbon - I only run when my anemones spawn. So this seemed like a reasonable thing to try outside controlling the dose amount, starting slow with 1/4 to 1/2 recommended dose. Other than that I can see some issues with the sump and a auto feeder that I'll clean up which should also help.

Good product what little I have used but again I support the reduced dose feedback. I think that is key.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top