Asternia Starfish - Don't trust them with your zoos!

  • Thread starter Thread starter jafoca
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

jafoca

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
181
Reaction score
1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had asternas for probably 1 year of the 1.5 I have been reef keeping.

The feeling I (and I assume most) have is like "OOO a cute little starfish! its soo cool it showed up in my tank!!"

Well, reality check. Some (if not all?) eat zoanthids. I just happened to peak at my frag tank a couple minutes ago, and I found one on some polyps (which were looking quite distressed) and another asterina on the same rock, probably moving towards its dinner!

Now some of you will say "you can tell the difference, red ones eat zoas and white dont" - Well, it was a white one on my polyp, and a red one on the rock!

Long story short, asternas are no longer my friend. They will be KOS!

First time I have seen that crap - not in my tank!
 
hehe join Al and my halrequin shrimp squad, formed to annihilate all asterina hitchhikers..:)
 
I wish I could borrow one from somebody for a few weeks... I would not want to have to meet its dietary requirments all the time though....
 
they are pretty slow...and easy to find in the tank. i don't think you'll have trouble getting it out once the stars are gone
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top