At my witts end with aptasia!

  • Thread starter Thread starter b4tn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hands down best pest anemone eating fish I have ever used was the Asfur Angel. It'd outgrow you tank after a while, and will also eat a zoas, but it took care of my anemone issues, twice!
 
I dont understand your description of your filefish. My filefish has no interest in food. He ignores feeding time completely. He only eats stuff thats attached to rocks, like aiptasia.

I've had good luck with peppermint shrimp too but (a) everybody likes to eat them and (b) they sometimes go rogue and eat corals.

I'd try a new filefish.
 
Definitely Nudis!!! I got mine from Salty Underground. They will ship free if you spend $75 so I took the opportunity to buy a torch coral and an acan along with 5 nudis. Everything arrived perfectly and after aabout a month now I only have a few aiptasia left. I have actually witnessed a nudi chowing down on an aiptasia!
 
Ive had pure luck with copperband butterflies Vs Aptasia.
 
I had a pretty severe outbreak over the last 4-5 months. I tried putting epoxy (aquastix) over them. Worked for a minute and screwed skimmer up for a week. Did it several times with same results. Aptasia still popping up. I was willing to try anything I was so frustrated.
Then I went to Reeftown.com and bought 12 medium Berghia Nudibranchs and released them... nothing immediately but I was patient. Yesterday as about a month and honestly have had much time lately to view the tank BUT today I don’t see even one aptasia. Not one. Thank you Reeftown!
 
Last edited:
I had a HORRIBLE outbreak in my entire tank. I tied the Red Sea product but could not begin to treat the hundreds I had. The only think that worked were Bergia nudibranch. I got 4 of them and paid almost $65 and thought that was crazy for how small they were. But using a pipet I put them all in an area surrounded by aptaisa but not on the aptasia itself. After about 3 weeks was so upset as I didn’t see them or a dent in my aptasia. My LFS said give them some time and don’t use anything else. On week 4 or 5 I saw 2 at night. It took about 2 months and the aptasia disappearing. After 3 months my tank had not one single one left. If your LFS can’t get them search online there is a great vendor my friend used after my success.

The key is getting a min of 4 and placing them together. This way they work as a team and also reproduce in the tank. You must be patient, even though you might not see them or progress for weeks. But Bergia nudibranch will get the job done (just be sure there are no predators that each the nudibranch.)
 
I'm surprised that AptasiaX has not worked for you. It is quite reliable for me. The trick is to move the tip of the delivery tube right at the mouth of the aptasia VERY SLOWLY and then inject a solid amount of the AptasiaX. The anemone should exhibit its natural eating behavior and try to swallow the paste. Death typically ensues within a day.
 
If they are large enough I inject them with lemon juice using a 1 cc syringe and a 25G 11/2 inch needle. If they are too small or hard to reach I epoxy over them
 
I really want to try the nudi’s but I worry my corris wrasse or peppermint shrimp will go after them. I would get rid of the peppermint if I could catch him lol. But the ones I have problems with have super long stalks that I can’t see. They are in deep holes in the rock that I can’t fill in with epoxy. Or hanging off the side where I also can’t get epoxy to
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top