Atomic's 800g In-Wall with fish room.

The tank is looking great, it's been fun following along on your journey!

How has the tank itself been holding up. I'm very interested in plywood construction for large aquariums but haven't seen much data on how they hold up over time. Have you seen any deflection in the plywood or any other structural changes over the years?
 
The tank is looking great, it's been fun following along on your journey!

How has the tank itself been holding up. I'm very interested in plywood construction for large aquariums but haven't seen much data on how they hold up over time. Have you seen any deflection in the plywood or any other structural changes over the years?

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

As far as how the tanks been holding up, I'm on 3.5 years and everything seems to be like the day I built the tank. Its WAY overbuilt, but it lets me sleep at night. If you go back to the first month, I had a small leak due in the front glass due to not mixing the epoxy well enough. I constantly check this area but I've not seen anything out of the ordinary, So I assume we are good!
 
After speaking with @dca22anderson, I have purchased a new automatic feeder. I've been one to feed pellets daily and supplement with frozen and nori. The Eheim feeders are great and I use two of them, but they never hold enough pellets. I'm hoping this feeder will do the trick. Once it gets in, I'm going to try and create a feeder tube so the pellets don't drift into the overflow.

 
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

As far as how the tanks been holding up, I'm on 3.5 years and everything seems to be like the day I built the tank. Its WAY overbuilt, but it lets me sleep at night. If you go back to the first month, I had a small leak due in the front glass due to not mixing the epoxy well enough. I constantly check this area but I've not seen anything out of the ordinary, So I assume we are good!
That's awesome to hear, I'm glad you haven't seen any structural changes! I think over building is definitely the way to go so you don't have any worries about how it will hold up.

Also if you're looking to have some sort of automatic feeding (outside of pellets) you should check out smidys reef. He just updated about a thawed frozen food feeder he added to his aquarium that works pretty slick!
 
That's awesome to hear, I'm glad you haven't seen any structural changes! I think over building is definitely the way to go so you don't have any worries about how it will hold up.

Also if you're looking to have some sort of automatic feeding (outside of pellets) you should check out smidys reef. He just updated about a thawed frozen food feeder he added to his aquarium that works pretty slick!

I have thought long and hard about a frozen feeder. If I ever took a job that required traveling, I may consider it. Fortunately, I work from home and feeding frozen is something my kids enjoy doing as part of the nightly routine.
 
After speaking with @dca22anderson, I have purchased a new automatic feeder. I've been one to feed pellets daily and supplement with frozen and nori. The Eheim feeders are great and I use two of them, but they never hold enough pellets. I'm hoping this feeder will do the trick. Once it gets in, I'm going to try and create a feeder tube so the pellets don't drift into the overflow.

I think you will love it!

Works best with the same sized pellets. The bigger the pellet the more accurate the feeding.

Also there is a ton of adjustment you can do to dial it right in to your needs. ;)
 
I think you will love it!

Works best with the same sized pellets. The bigger the pellet the more accurate the feeding.

Also there is a ton of adjustment you can do to dial it right in to your needs. ;)
Do you remember what pellets/Pellet size you used? I usually use the New Life Spectrum 1mm for the majority of my feedings and sometimes throw in the 3mm for the bigger fish.

​

 
Bi-Yearly Maintenance time!

I have a few updates also!

I got the fish feeder installed this weekend. I had problems originally with the food being too small, but after some tweaking it seems to be working fine. Thanks @dca22anderson for the help!

IMG_3017.jpg


We are now a 2 Skimmer family! I have gone back and forth between 3 skimmer for the last year and I think this is my long term solution. I made a shelf on the side of the tank and Im now running the 2 smaller skimmers instead of the one bigger one. This is more to keep my PH up than it is to have 2 skimmers running. Ill probably run one dry and one wet.

IMG_3031.jpg


Lastly, I did a cleanout and refill of my calcium reactor last night. Unfortunately in the cleaning process, the Milwaukee PH controller messed up and the readings are WAY off. So I calibrated the 2nd PH probe into my Apex and it is now running the CO2 Solenoid. I had planned on trying this anyway because I like the txt notification that the PH in my reactor is high, Thus telling me when I'm out of CO2! Its happened a few times and I didn't catch it once until my ALK had plummeted.



Its almost time to start selling corals again! So im gonna cut a few frags this week to be well stocked over the winter.
 
looking great! i met you at the CINCY swap. and bought some corals from you. all the frags i got from you are doing great. I showed you pics of my setup (the bar height tank with the 4 Halides) . so with that said what other frags are sitting around lol?

super nice guy BTW will vouch for his frags.
 
Wow, its been over a year since ive updated this. The tank is over 5 years old now!

The tank is still doing well, but its lost some of the fun since I don't have any major projects to do. Its pretty much on auto pilot. I did get lazy and it went a few months without having the glass cleaned. After an earful from my wife, I went snorkeling for two hours last week and its looking good as new!
IMG_1078.JPG

I was able to rescue what I was told to be a Dussumieri Tang, but I believe its a Yellowfin Tang. Reguardless its a beautiful fish at over 16 inches long! He was in a commercial tank and getting beat up by another fish. His name is Poodle!
IMG_4693.jpg

I got a new skimmer (4th one in 5 years.) That seems to be the long term solution.
IMG_4687.jpg
 
Wow, its been over a year since ive updated this. The tank is over 5 years old now!

The tank is still doing well, but its lost some of the fun since I don't have any major projects to do. Its pretty much on auto pilot. I did get lazy and it went a few months without having the glass cleaned. After an earful from my wife, I went snorkeling for two hours last week and its looking good as new!
IMG_1078.JPG

I was able to rescue what I was told to be a Dussumieri Tang, but I believe its a Yellowfin Tang. Reguardless its a beautiful fish at over 16 inches long! He was in a commercial tank and getting beat up by another fish. His name is Poodle!
IMG_4693.jpg

I got a new skimmer (4th one in 5 years.) That seems to be the long term solution.
IMG_4687.jpg
Tank is incredible! This is the first time I have seen it!
 
Wow, its been over a year since ive updated this. The tank is over 5 years old now!

The tank is still doing well, but its lost some of the fun since I don't have any major projects to do. Its pretty much on auto pilot. I did get lazy and it went a few months without having the glass cleaned. After an earful from my wife, I went snorkeling for two hours last week and its looking good as new!
IMG_1078.JPG

I was able to rescue what I was told to be a Dussumieri Tang, but I believe its a Yellowfin Tang. Reguardless its a beautiful fish at over 16 inches long! He was in a commercial tank and getting beat up by another fish. His name is Poodle!
IMG_4693.jpg

I got a new skimmer (4th one in 5 years.) That seems to be the long term solution.
IMG_4687.jpg
Looks like a very mature Yellowfin Surgeonfish! Great Add!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top