Baby clownfish i. Return chamber. What now?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 20, 2022
Messages
1,320
Reaction score
1,152
Location
Flat Rock
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my clownfish eggs hatched about a week ago. First batch they laid. I was resigned to them just being natural food for tank. I have 17 fish so all good. Well today during water change I notice one of the little guys in the return chamber. He is actually quite big. Think he might be growing. Should I try to feed him in there. I use crushed pellets and baby brine for my molly baby's and it works. Or just leave him be to see what happens.
 
Oh boy. Try to feed it. Possibly set up another small tank.
Ill try to leave him in there and feed him. dont have another tank set up currently. just made up a batch of baby brine so will try to throw some of those at him. His belly looks pretty fat. Maybe eating pods down there or something? THey hatched a week ago and he still alive so must be mackin on something
 
Ill try to leave him in there and feed him. dont have another tank set up currently. just made up a batch of baby brine so will try to throw some of those at him. His belly looks pretty fat. Maybe eating pods down there or something? THey hatched a week ago and he still alive so must be mackin on something
Great first food - Frozen and live rotifiers
 
sorry my previous post was knee-jerk. But still. I gotta see this. If its real you need to get it out and into a separate tank or bucket filled with water from the main tank. He is old enough to feed TDO A or maybe B pellets. If you don’t take him out and start setting something up for him, he will die soon. Metamorphosis is coming and it is a delicate time.
 
Ok. Ill try to get a pic. Hard cuz he blends in with all the sponges and crap in there. Just can tell he in there when he starts moving
 
Some how made it this far on its own. Perhaps don't fix what's working and see how that pans out. Likely some pods who's first life stage small enough to be feasted on by clown fry. I'd try figuring that out and how to promote more pods. Phyto dosing might get that party started...
 
20240622_222227.jpg
20240622_222238.jpg


Ok got some!! hard to get cuz he pretty skittish. Took a while
 
Some how made it this far on its own. Perhaps don't fix what's working and see how that pans out. Likely some pods who's first life stage small enough to be feasted on by clown fry. I'd try figuring that out and how to promote more pods. Phyto dosing might get that party started...
Sorry but not gonna happen. That fry is going to die unless removed and put into a proper setup with the right food to get it through metamorphosis. This is not a freshwater goby that basically rears itself people.
 
He ate some crushed pellets just now. Gonna try to pump food in 5 times a day. See what happens. Made it a week somehow
 
More than likely but I'll try
Hey, it would be really awesome if it did. I’m just salty because I’ve deliberately tried recently to raise fry in a purpose built system with phyto and rotifers and killed several hundred within days. I’m learning and trying again soon, but seeing this is like a giant slap in the face from the fish Gods :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
 
Currently raising Grunion from eggs, about 4th week in. Food I feed are ground TDO, rotifers, fresh baby brine Phyto and I am sure pods... Obviously he is finding enough food to get him going from the hatch. The important thing is that he gets food several times a day. But that can be fed or found. His needs will change as he grows so be aware.
Week one:
IMG_2278.jpeg

Week 4:
IMG_2402.jpeg
 
I'm not sure what gruni9n is but that's cool. I doubt this little guy will make it but I will try.
 
He ate some crushed pellets just now. Gonna try to pump food in 5 times a day. See what happens. Made it a week somehow
Life finds a way. Been that way long before we put them in boxes.
 
I'm not sure what gruni9n is but that's cool. I doubt this little guy will make it but I will try.
Maybe get him out and put him in a breeder box for protection and try to raise him that way? Thats how Im raising my baby saltwater mollies
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top