Baby tang in 29gal?

I am looking to buy a baby tang (1”) for my 29 gallon aquarium. I know that you need very large tanks for the adult ones but would I be able to buy a baby one and then bring it back to LFS once it gets bigger in a year?
I’d say no ..

it will
Outgrow that tank in as little
As 2-3 months .
 
I always hesitate to respond to these threads because I dont want to come off as a jerk. But, what is the point in buying a 1" blue tang for your tiny tank and giving it back later on? why not just get a yellow tailed damsel? Similar colors and you dont have to give it back in a year because it stays small.

After all these years and countless threads on the subject, people still ask if they can get away with a tang in their small tank allllll the time still.

Honestly, the people asking these questions seem like they just want one person to say yes so they can justify their purchase to make themselves feel better.
 
Of course it will be ok for under a year.
If you have an LFS willing to take, I’d say have fun.
It’s how we learn. Don’t let people ruin your hobby, it’s you that counts.
I had three tangs in a 65g for 3 years before the BT forced upgrade to 180. Never had a problem.
9F17B323-00CC-4D90-BCCB-80B4960F8BBB.jpeg
 
Of course it will be ok for under a year.
If you have an LFS willing to take, I’d say have fun.
It’s how we learn. Don’t let people ruin your hobby, it’s you that counts.
I had three tangs in a 65g for 3 years before the BT forced upgrade to 180. Never had a problem.
9F17B323-00CC-4D90-BCCB-80B4960F8BBB.jpeg
That is terrible advice... Yes, lets all forego others experiences and not read anything, and instead mistreat animals like a disposable science project.
 
I disagree with the above post. It's not "you that counts". What a selfish thing to say and a sad commentary on humanity.
Really?
Some people like to push the envelope.
Some just follow.
It’s OK to be a follower....
 
That is terrible advice... Yes, lets all forego others experiences and not read anything, and instead mistreat animals like a disposable science project.
If you don’t want to mistreat animals, why are you putting them in a glass box?
 
Buying a tang small then selling it or upscaling your tank when it grows is pretty common. An LFS in my area would accept it but I guess it varies between stores.

It’s been over a year and I couldn’t tell you that I’ve seen mine grow even a centimetre, it is also in a 29 gallon.
B67F6096-EE8E-420B-BD7F-9F4CBB09F964.jpeg

Wow, yours didnt grow becaue of the cramped conditions, its probably very stressed, ripped fins :(

My sailfin grew from 1" to 6" in less than a year in a 180.

Buying fish with the purpose of rehoming is a terrible idea that rarely pulls through.
 
I am looking to buy a baby tang (1”) for my 29 gallon aquarium. I know that you need very large tanks for the adult ones but would I be able to buy a baby one and then bring it back to LFS once it gets bigger in a year?
You can but it is not recommend. The thing is it might not take a year for it to outgroq the tank, nor might it be easy for you to bring it back to the LFS (some stores don't really accept fish), so you have to check first.

I won't say you cannot do it, because yeah you really can keep a baby blue tang in a 29gal for a while, but it might just really not be worth it if you know you have to get rid of it later on. Your choice though.
 
I mean this is like saying can I buy a Husky puppy to be a house dog for my 200 square feet apartment...

Will the tang live? probably for a while. Will it be "happy" and thrive? probably not. I say don't do it.

Personally I would not place a tang in anything less than 100Gal. You could consider maybe 75Gal, I think you'd be crazy to put one in only 29 Gals.

*Oh god I have become the Tang Police*... help!
 
Properly sized glass box* with no predators and lots of food :) this has been debated before, proved adequate living for the fish first then debate.
I am curious to know how the proper sizes were calculated? I understand that they do better in bigger tanks.
 
I am looking to buy a baby tang (1”) for my 29 gallon aquarium. I know that you need very large tanks for the adult ones but would I be able to buy a baby one and then bring it back to LFS once it gets bigger in a year?

I would suggest a Pygmy/cherub angel instead. Beautiful and active but stays small.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top