Baby Yellow Tang - stomach

hers0109

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 17, 2023
Messages
58
Reaction score
21
Location
El Dorado Hills
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Anyone know what this could possibly be? He’s had it for almost 2 weeks, growing bigger each day. Smooth bump on one side and bumpy on the other. It’s a baby YT from biota. Haven’t seen it eat in several days though I think it might be grazing when not looking. Just now caught the fish.

IMG_3589.jpeg IMG_3588.jpeg
 
what you feeding it? Its looks mal-nourished.....
Mix diet - nori, pellets, mysis, Spirulina, reef frenzy. Plenty of algae (and pods) in tank though if he wanted to hunt too. Not sure if that’s sarcasm but it looks quite the opposite to me for a baby tang about 1.5” big
 
Wow - I've not seen a tang swell up quite like that, not that large any way.

Just a guess, but I'd say it has an intestinal impaction, that would also account for it not eating now.

As for a cure, there are not many options. You'll read about Epsom salts, but that really needs to be in the fish's food and with it not eating, that's out.

Jay
 
As for a cure, there are not many options. You'll read about Epsom salts, but that really needs to be in the fish's food and with it not eating, that's out.

Jay
Know of any ways to infuse it into the foods?
 
Ou
Hello,

Anyone know what this could possibly be? He’s had it for almost 2 weeks, growing bigger each day. Smooth bump on one side and bumpy on the other. It’s a baby YT from biota. Haven’t seen it eat in several days though I think it might be grazing when not looking. Just now caught the fish.

IMG_3589.jpeg IMG_3588.jpeg
ch- this can’t possibly be good
What foods are you feeding and is fish still eating today?
 
Ou

ch- this can’t possibly be good
What foods are you feeding and is fish still eating today?
I haven’t seen it eat in at least a few days, though I just got it out of the DT into an acclimation box a few hours ago for better observation. Have someone coming to hospital tank it in a few hours so open to any ideas.

Prior to that, I was feeding the display tank nori, pellets, Spirulina, mysis, reef frenzy + algae on rocks. Cut back to once a day feeding about a week ago thinking it was constipated and over eating.
 
Same thing happened to me with my Biota Yellow Tang. It went for over a week without eating. I tried feeding different things as alternatives but he would just ignore any food offered. When I put in nori on a clip he would swim up to the clip and around it but not eat. Eventually he started taking very small nibbles of algae off the rock and then started eating normally once the compaction passed. I hope your tang also recovers with time.
 
I haven’t seen it eat in at least a few days, though I just got it out of the DT into an acclimation box a few hours ago for better observation. Have someone coming to hospital tank it in a few hours so open to any ideas.

Prior to that, I was feeding the display tank nori, pellets, Spirulina, mysis, reef frenzy + algae on rocks. Cut back to once a day feeding about a week ago thinking it was constipated and over eating.
May be edema in which the fish cannot maintain its bodily fluids and have other internal issues going on. You can try kanaplex which is absorbed internally and externally but at this stage may or may not work.
 
Know of any ways to infuse it into the foods?

Sure - you can use Focus to bind it to some frozen food at a rate of 3% Epsom salts for the total wet weight of the food. You would need a gram scale to do that, and of course, the fish still needs to be eating.

Jay
 
I have this same thing happening to my yellow tang from biota. Bought it in September. Started getting the lumps in a couple weeks but I thought it was just fat and eating all the algae in my tank. It has gotten significantly worse and isn't eating. Think I'm going to put him in a quarantine and try the kanaplex and epsom salt or I think it will die.

IMG_7053.jpeg IMG_7052.jpeg
 
I have this same thing happening to my yellow tang from biota. Bought it in September. Started getting the lumps in a couple weeks but I thought it was just fat and eating all the algae in my tank. It has gotten significantly worse and isn't eating. Think I'm going to put him in a quarantine and try the kanaplex and epsom salt or I think it will die.

IMG_7053.jpeg IMG_7052.jpeg
This is not good and may be too much fats or bacterial infection. Has the fish produced feces the last 72 hours?
What foods are you feeding ?
 
This is not good and may be too much fats or bacterial infection. Has the fish produced feces the last 72 hours?
What foods are you feeding ?
TDO pellets, nori, and frozen mixture (1-2x/wk with LRS, mysis, krill). It also grazed nonstop as soon as I put it in the tank.

I have not seen it poop in awhile.
 
Last edited:
TDO pellets, nori, and frozen mixture (1-2x/wk with LRS, mysis, krill). It also grazed nonstop as soon as I put it in the tank.

I have not seen it poop in awhile.
If eating as stated, stop pellets for now and feed brine shrimp which may help as a laxative in the event of blockage as I suspected no feces at least last 72 hrs
 
If eating as stated, stop pellets for now and feed brine shrimp which may help as a laxative in the event of blockage as I suspected no feces at least last 72 hrs
It's not eating unfortunately. What I listed above is what I used to feed it. It's been like this for awhile. I got it the beginning of September and started getting plump almost right away. I thought it was just grazing too much.
 
It's not eating unfortunately. What I listed above is what I used to feed it. It's been like this for awhile. I got it the beginning of September and started getting plump almost right away. I thought it was just grazing too much.
Wow so this fish has had the bulge for about 2 months now?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top