Bath tub as 24 hr holding tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter WRB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

WRB

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2020
Messages
154
Reaction score
93
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to take my fish only tank down for 24 hours. Any reason I can't siphon 40 gallons of the tank water (approx. 50% of display) in to my bathtub with a power head and heater? 7 fish, all healthy and an established gang.
The tub is new and made of acrylic. Installed in the past 30 days during a renovation. Will put another 35 gallons in a rubbermaid trash can (new) so I'll only need to mix maybe 20 gallons of new saltwater.
I think i did this once before in 1997 but can't remember. :(
 
Has the tub been used before?

Even if it hadn’t, I would say NO. You have no idea what chemical residue it still has from the factory. Bathtubs are meant to catch all of our filth and throw it down a drain - not hold delicate live creatures.
 
Upvote 0
go to home depo or lowes and get some 50 gallon drums/trash cans to use instead.
Make sure to get Brute trash cans, or something similar. Brute cans don’t leak any chemicals in the water, so they are safe to use.
 
Upvote 0
I would be really worried about contaminants (cleaners, soaps, etc) that could leach out of the tub. Plus, no lid. Definitely just get a suitable trash can.
 
Upvote 0
It hasn't been used as a tub.
Will rinse it thoroughly prior to use (again).
Have a mesh frame as a cover.
More surface and length for fish, 18" deep, insulted and stable.
400 gph power-head.
 
Upvote 0
I live close to Scripps Birch Aquarium. I used to get my saltwater from their supply lines, courtesy to the local hobbyists. I called them and talked to one of their Marine Bioligist, he said for 24-36 hours with areation and flow he wouldn't worry about using it.
I'm hoping to have everything I need to do done in 12 to 15 hours or less. I'l let everyone know how it goes.
Thanks all.
 
Upvote 0
I’d agree that there might be residue from the factory or storage. You have no idea what’s on there. I’d buy a trash can. Better to be safe.
 
Upvote 0
Well I decided to go with a large New Brute. Should have about 42 gal. of their tank water in it along with a 400 gph power-head to keep the water turning over. Gonna add a few peices of their aqua-scaping
hide-outs too.
Have a net top to keep them from bailing out on me. Looks like they'll need to be in the Brute for a max of 24 hours. Anything else that might help them and calm me down. Had them all for years and don't want to loose any of them. Fingers crossed.
 

Attachments

  • picture (1).jpg
    picture (1).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 0
Hiding spots. Disposable plastic cups or the like- anything big enough for them to go in. Or some of those fake plants I see in the picture.
 
Upvote 0
Update!
All went well. Fish handle dthe move into the Brute without any issues. Had the job done in 23 1/2 hours.
Had hoped for no more than 24 hours and the wife and I pulled it off.
Fish are eating and active. Yay!

1
 
Upvote 0
I used the tub once when a tank burst on me. It worked okay for a couple of days, but it was a porcelain tub not fiberglass. Probably still okay though... Not many know that bathtubs are required by law to be built "food safe" in order to be safe for storing drinking water in an emergency.
 
Upvote 0
I used the tub once when a tank burst on me. It worked okay for a couple of days, but it was a porcelain tub not fiberglass. Probably still okay though... Not many know that bathtubs are required by law to be built "food safe" in order to be safe for storing drinking water in an emergency.
Maybe brand new bathtubs, but can't some glazes/finishes contain lead? Some googling led me to a few hurricane prep articles cautioning against drinking water from bath tubs.

Glad the brute can worked out in any case, good to know for next time
 
Upvote 0
Tractor Supply has many feeding throughs available in many sizes, they are ideal for your situation and not too expensive.
 
Upvote 0
Maybe brand new bathtubs, but can't some glazes/finishes contain lead? Some googling led me to a few hurricane prep articles cautioning against drinking water from bath tubs.

Glad the brute can worked out in any case, good to know for next time
Would have to be a pretty old tub... like from the 60s or older.
 
Upvote 0
The new tub I was gonna use had a "Food Safe" sticker. Living in Earthquake and Fire prone CA. A lot of new installs require that. I had used the previous tub for the same purpose in 1997 without a loss.
Ended up deciding on multiple new Brutes so I could save more of the water from the tank and get a two-fer by doing a 20 % water change and cleaning in the process of this adventure.
Fish are happy,I'm happy and better half got her new carpet, some fresh paint, couch moldings and new
base-boards
 

Attachments

  • picture-1.jpg
    picture-1.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 34
  • picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top