best ballast for 250w Radium mogul

What did you switch from? (bennyz)

i had 4 x 250w ushio 20k in de lumenarc mini reflectors. switched to 2 x 400w radium 20k in the large lumenarcs thinking it'd be about the same output with only 2 bulbs covering the whole spread of the tank. boy was i wrong...
 
OK... be warned... you won't be impressed...

Lighting003.jpg


Here's a shot of my hood.

Lighting2.jpg
 
Well, I've got 11 inches between my Actinics...

Here's another shot that shows both. The hood is 1 foot tall. Would you cut two holes in the top to place the refectors and lights?

Whoops. Didn't get the pic on.

Lighting002.jpg
 
Last edited:
How wide is the tank? I'm thinking lumenmax 2's would be up your alley.


It's a corner tank w/ 3 feet along both back walls and three feet along the front. Then on both sides of the front it bends and goes 10 inches to the back walls. Does that explain it well? I added the other pic of the lights above.
 
Lumenmax 2 SE pendants would be great if you can squeeze them in??? They are 15" L x 11.5" W x 5" H.


I used one of these over my 36x18x25 LPS softy tank with great success.
 
I have 3 250w radiums two on a bluewave 7 and one on a icecap. The icecap seems more crisp and a little less blue. I like both and it would probably come down price if I got anymore. I do run a fan on the bluewave ballast as it to warm with one.
 
M80 is the way to go. Any other way sacrifices PAR. I've got 250w Radiums on BW7 housed in LumenBrights. I get nice bright white with a touch of blue. PAR is 350 at the bottom of my 24" deep tank.
 
OK.... so why stick with Moguls? How about Galaxy Dual 250 DE with Lumen Max Elite reflectors and XM 20k Bulbs. One answer is that you can't have Radiums with the DE... How do the XMs compare? The shape of the reflector would be a big plus in my hood.

puntific

ps. Thanks wampuscat for letting me tag along in your thread. It seemed like a very related issue.
 
I like IceCap. Doesn't make those 20,000K Radiums look s'dang blue. I had a 20,000K DE Ushio on my old 26, running off an IceCap ballast, and it didn't look nearly as blue as the Radium. At the shop where I worked, it was the standard lighting, with no actinics to try to fake-squeeze-out-colors. ...Except in the display, where there was supplemental actinic VHO (four 4' bulbs), that awful purple fakey actinic, and it looked AWFUL.
 
M80 is the way to go. Any other way sacrifices PAR. I've got 250w Radiums on BW7 housed in LumenBrights. I get nice bright white with a touch of blue. PAR is 350 at the bottom of my 24" deep tank.

How high of the water is your bulb?
 
OK.... so why stick with Moguls? How about Galaxy Dual 250 DE with Lumen Max Elite reflectors and XM 20k Bulbs. One answer is that you can't have Radiums with the DE... How do the XMs compare? The shape of the reflector would be a big plus in my hood.

puntific

ps. Thanks wampuscat for letting me tag along in your thread. It seemed like a very related issue.

Go with 14k Phoenix and you'll be happier. ;)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top