Best fish for 36” tank

kelleymc

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
104
Reaction score
32
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 57 gallon Seapora tank that’s 36” long. I’m looking to compile a wish list of the fish for this tank. I’d like a variety of colors, activity levels, and personality. Ideally some will have chores to do in the tank as well. Thoughts?
 
Should say they’ll be in a mixed reef community tank.
 

Best fish for 36” tank?​

Fish Bass GIF

A 37" Grouper
 
I have a 57 gallon Seapora tank that’s 36” long. I’m looking to compile a wish list of the fish for this tank. I’d like a variety of colors, activity levels, and personality. Ideally some will have chores to do in the tank as well. Thoughts?
I posted this somewhere else as well, but assessor fish seem fun. They swim upside-down which could bring some fun motion to the tank.
 
pajama/banggai cardinals for minimal movement, royal gramma/black cap basslet for purple, perhaps a flame angel for red (although this is reef safe with caution), clowns are a no brainer for orange and perhaps a very small hippo tang? Yellow wise maybe a banana wrasse or yellow watchman goby?
 
Thank you all for the suggestions so far!
 
I'm satisfied with my 4 fish in my 36" (40 gallon) tank but fish selection is highly personal.
*mine all get along and have varied personalities and habits so just for reference:
-- Clownfish - just 'cause
-- Tailspot Blenny is fun with lots of personality and potentially some algae-eating benefits although I'm not so sure about that
-- Bangaii Cardinal and Pajama Cardinal like to float around hunting pods from the rocks so they're at least interesting (to me)

One fish to consider (but I don't have one) is Pink Streaked Wrasse -- cool looking to me and potentially utilitarian (coral pests).
*was tempted to buy one but price/availability kept me away (so far)
 
A McCoskers flasher would add beautiful color and movement to the tank. Mine have always been up at the crack of dawn and swim, swim, swim all day sun up to sun down.

And I second a pink streaked wrasse. Hands down one of my favorite fish ever. If you get some ROE and get them eating a lot the first few days you have them, they turn out being bold and adventurous. Tons of character, even despite their “secretive” aura. Just make sure no one in the tank will pick on it.

D95B80C1-8211-4E9E-A3B1-4FE8340770F7.jpeg
 
I do not agree with hypo tang suggested by Phil Steel, they grow very fast and 3 feet is too short for them. His other suggestions are good. It is not fun to re home a fish after you got attached to it.
Damsel comes in beautiful colors, but can be aggressive. Should be added last along with the clowns if you get some.
You can also look into shrimps, my coral banded shrimp is a lot of fun.
 
Some great ideas. Been researching many of these suggestions!
 
Clownfish, fire goby, ywg, orchid dottyback, Springer's damselfish, lubbocks wrasse, flame angel, coral beauty, yellowhead jawfish, royal gramma.
 
@kelleymc people mentioned some cool wrasses. I think when I eventually get a larger tank, a Naoko wrasse is on my list with the aforementioned assessor's. Naoko wrasses like to "dive bomb" from what I've read, that with assessors that swim sideways and upside would make for a very entertaining tank!
 
Ordered these two to start!


 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top