Best lighting for 180 gallon... AI product?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Joined
Feb 26, 2015
Messages
20,450
Reaction score
47,597
Location
Carmel, Indiana
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am helping a friend, @HotRockTarBaby find what lights he should do.

Of course, cheap box LEDs would be one extreme end.

Without breaking the bank, what does AI make that would work for most coral? He isn't going to have an SPS tank or anything but would probably appreciate the controlabiloty as he is a bit of a nerd in that regard.

My A1 Prime HD I feel he would need 4 of which comes out to $900-$1000. I assume there's a better option out there. He wants a canopy, so it needs to have a small footprint and be easily mountable and allow for a canopy.

Any other options out there?

I may replace my 3 60" ReefBrite XHO at the same time he buys his as well.

I don't know where to start, you can see how dated my choice was. Pretty sure my subpar lights still cost about $1000 these days...
 
BRS did a pretty detailed video about how AI Pride HDs could be used to light an SPS dominant reef. I realize you mentioned it wont be an SPS dominant tank, but I think if you watch the video and just dial down the number of modules depending on your PAR goals it could be easily done.

I know a grand for lighting sounds like a lot, but honestly for non black-box LEDs I think a grand is the absolute cheapest you can light a 6 foot 180 if you're focusing on AI/Kessil/Ecotech products.

 
Probably 4-5 Primes or three Hydra 26's. If he decides on SPS in the future he cal ways add more (probably double).
 
Just occurred to me, if it's a typical 180 rimmed it will have two braces so he probably wants to go with three lights.
 
I have a 180 with 6 black box lights. However it's a fish only. When I did have corals there was plenty of coverage & par. I'm also interested in what Ya'll say about lighting a big tank like this.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top