Best lighting option for 1000 gallon aquarium

dkdiskin

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 12, 2022
Messages
23
Reaction score
6
Location
Bloomfield Village
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1000 gallon , fish only, with coral inserts.
I have mostly angelfish, butterflies, and triggerfish.
What is the best lighting option to showcase the fish?
Thank you
 
Do you have the tank dimensions? How much space above the tank do you have?

IMO I love kessil lights and I have seen some awesome fish displays lit by kessil. The shimmer looks great and if you have the height you don't need as many lights as a reef so the cost can be reasonable. Lifting the lights high also makes accessing the tank easier. We would need to know the dimensions to know how many and what size lights you would need.
 
There are several variables to consider when it comes to lighting. Three of them are “Kelvin, “Luminance’” and “PAR”. There are others but let’s start with these.

Kelvin (K) is a temperature scale used in measuring the color temperature of light. Lower Kelvin numbers indicate the light appears more yellow, while higher Kelvin numbers indicate the light appears more blue.

Lighting that has a Kelvin temperature of around 2700K is considered to have an "warm" or "soft white" color, which is what is found in traditional incandescent light bulbs. Lighting that has a Kelvin temperature of around 5000K is considered to have a "cool white" color, similar to what is seen in daylight or LED lighting. The ideal Kelvin light range for a reef aquarium is between 5000K and 14000K.

Luminance is a measure of the visible power of light which is perceived by the human eye. It is denoted by the symbol "L", and is usually measured in candelas per square meter (cd/m²). Luminance is useful for determining the brightness of a source of light, as well as for comparing various sources. It is also a common part of lighting design, as high luminance values can enhance contrast and provide a more pleasing aesthetic.

Luminance, or the intensity of light in an aquarium, is an important factor for any reef aquarium. Sufficient amounts of light can allow for proper photosynthesis and energy production for the aquatic organisms living in the reef. Bright and vibrant colors, for instance, will depend on the amount of light available for the corals and invertebrates. Inadequate light will cause reduced growth and result in bleaching of coral and other organisms. An ideal luminance range is from 20-50 PAR (photosynthetically active radiation). As well, brightness levels that flicker or change rapidly should be avoided as this can cause stress and other problems in the reef. By creating an ideal luminance level, it can have a great impact on the health and growth of the coral reef.

PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) is a measurement of the intensity of light in the Photosynthetically Active Radiation spectrum, which includes 400–700 nanometer (nm) wavelengths. In horticulture and plant lighting, PAR is a metric for quantifying light that is available for photosynthesis in plants. PAR measurements are typically made using special spectroradiometers (spectromeeters) that measure the light directly or by estimating PAR from measurements of light at other wavelengths.

PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) is a measure of light energy in the visible spectrum (400-700 nm) that is available for photosynthesis. PAR is important for reef aquarium lighting because the light provides essential energy for photosynthesis, which fuels the growth of the corals and other organisms like macro algae. The best PAR range for reef aquariums is around 100-500 µmol·m^-2·s^-1, depending on the type of coral/organism and its needs. Too much PAR can damage some organisms, so it is important to ensure that your lighting is not too strong for your aquarium.
 
The tank is 10 feet long x 4 in depth and 3 feet wide
The ceiling is 1 foot above the tank.
Looking for light to optimize appearance of fish.
Again , fish only tank with inserts. Mostly angels, triggers, and butterflies.
Thanks for your help
 
Fish only you can get what ever cheap light and bulbs color combos you want.
 
While this is true the high-end lights just look alot better.
100% agree with this statement as I use kessils myself. However you can probably get the job done in this case for $200
 
For fish only I would want low watt metal halide or something that’s going to really illuminate the fish. You are going to end up spending a ton if you get reef lights for a tank that size. I do agree 360x’s would be a nice addition for some color and sunrise/sunset. I just think you are going to end up spending more than you want.
 
I have a 1000 gallon , fish only, with coral inserts.
I have mostly angelfish, butterflies, and triggerfish.
What is the best lighting option to showcase the fish?
Thank you
I would do solar tubes and use natural sunlight, with some kessils for cloudy days and aux lighting.
 
Some things to consider. The blue and UV lights generally are good for coral, but not fish so much. I find the whiter lights sometimes better for the fish. Also, fish like to run the edge of the tank and can end up in a shadow if your lights are in the middle. So, I would vote for lights that can be placed toward the viewing edge of the tank and perhaps angled back in, and ones with adjustable colors, so you can find out what looks best on your fish and your aquascape.

The kessils are a good choice depending on how you mount them.
 
Natural sunlight via solar tubes. This is a 1000g tank without corals you're illuminating. Why bother with expensive coral-growing focused fixtures when you have all of the light you need to view your fish directly above you and for a one time fee?
 
I would like everyone to consider how much a customer acrylic 1000 gallon tank with coral inserts costs and then ask if you think the kind of person who is buying one would spend $30-40,000 on aquarium system with coral inserts would want some basic strip lights or some nice dimmable lights with shimmer and weather effects.

The last complete tank I sold around this size was from my retail days and it was an 8x4x4 so a little smaller with no inserts. The entire setup sold for around $25,000 with no custom coral inserts which would have added thousands to the price tag.
 
I would like everyone to consider how much a customer acrylic 1000 gallon tank with coral inserts costs and then ask if you think the kind of person who is buying one would spend $30-40,000 on aquarium system with coral inserts would want some basic strip lights or some nice dimmable lights with shimmer and weather effects.

The last complete tank I sold around this size was from my retail days and it was an 8x4x4 so a little smaller with no inserts. The entire setup sold for around $25,000 with no custom coral inserts which would have added thousands to the price tag.
I've met plenty of individuals who were happy to spend 40k on one thing for their tank, but were reluctant to spend more than $10 for refugium lighting (La Jollans, I'm looking at you). These people typically have the money they have because they spend it wisely (relatively) and don't blow it on 20k worth of lighting that'll grow corals fantastically...if they had corals in their tanks....which in this case they don't. I have personally seen viparspectras on a very nicely stocked custom 1000g with coral inserts in a VERY expensive house comprised entirely of glass, marble and right angles.
 
If money is no object, consider Ecotech radions. Some of the color channels can do stunning things with the pinks on anthias and other fish. You can also have sunset effects throughout the day to add interest.
 
I've met plenty of individuals who were happy to spend 40k on one thing for their tank, but were reluctant to spend more than $10 for refugium lighting (La Jollans, I'm looking at you). These people typically have the money they have because they spend it wisely (relatively) and don't blow it on 20k worth of lighting that'll grow corals fantastically...if they had corals in their tanks....which in this case they don't.
This is where I will get on a mini rant from my install days. The best thing these customers can do is find a trusted professional and do what they recommend. The biggest complaint I had when doing installation and maintenance is , "do you trust me or not." If you trust me and the number is too high let me decide where to cut so I can deliver as good of a product as possible with the given budget. If you don't trust me then build and maintain the tank yourself because if my name is on it I want it done my way.
 
This is where I will get on a mini rant from my install days. The best thing these customers can do is find a trusted professional and do what they recommend. The biggest complaint I had when doing installation and maintenance is , "do you trust me or not." If you trust me and the number is too high let me decide where to cut so I can deliver as good of a product as possible with the given budget. If you don't trust me then build and maintain the tank yourself because if my name is on it I want it done my way.
Exactly. I had "fun" working with these people sometimes. Some were pretty cool and would work with you, but most IME wanted to be involved too much with the things that caught their interest just that day.
 
Can we get some pics of this amazing sounding tank? I dunno crap on what to light it with but definitely wanna see please and thank you.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top