Best mh ballast and pendant for a 93 cube

Lonelyreef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 8, 2013
Messages
733
Reaction score
69
Location
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking into getting a light for my new 93 cube. The dimensions are 30x30x24 I don't have much exp in mh lighting but I am deffinetely thinking about it. So my question is whats gunna get me a good par reading so I can keep clams at the bottom of the tank with no worries. Is 250 enuff or do I need 400 and then I'm thinking what about a dimmable ballast and what pendant is gunna work well for my application. Money is not the object here I simply want the best mh fixture to get down to the bottom of the tank and give me good growth. I appreciate everyone's ideas.
 
Look into the lumenbrite pendants,one will cover your entire tank. 250w would be enough, a 400w would be better if you can handle the extra heat it will put out. Another good setup would be the reefbrite hybrid, has MH with LED actinics.
 
At the depth, I'd stick with 400w, that way you can't go wrong. No heat issues if you run a fan over the water, or run it high enough off the water.
 
Nice. I have an 8 bulb dimmable t5 right now and wile I do love it. I don't like the bulb replacement costs especially if I went with another 8 bulb fixture. So I'm thinking of going with mh. I really like the idea of the reefbrite hybrid. The ballast is not included though whats a good dimmable ballast .
 
Mh bulbs are like 80$ once a year and an 8 bulb is 160$ a year unless mh bulbs are way more than I thought
 
$160?!!! Holy Cow.....Must have been top of the line lamps
 
Well ati bulbs are 20 dollars eqch and i need 8 so do the math lol. I figure a mh bulb is way cheaper. Plus easier to acclimate my corals from my frag tank that use the ati fixture
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top