Best NON- aquarium light that could grow sps???

You can have them already for 300+ euro's just need to cut a hole in the roof


Sun tubes
 
You can have them already for 300+ euro's just need to cut a hole in the roof


Sun tubes
I actually have one of these in my upstairs hallway and they are awesome! Next time I move I want to budget for a row of them right above my aquarium!!!
 
I just read a paper on LEP and corals


There are a few others too https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,22&q=corals+LEP+light&btnG=
That study compare T5, LEP and LED and seems to indicate that blue LED may be the best option for growing two corals.
Here is part of its conclusion:

We conclude that blue light sources, such as LED lighting, promote higher growth for A. formosa and S. pistillata. Thus, LED technology seems a promising option for scleractinian ornamental corals aquaculture ex situ. The initial investment for artificial lighting in RAS for coral production, as well as power and maintenance costs, are decisive when analyzing the economic feasibility of ex situ coral aquaculture.
 
HLG quantum boards are essentially the sun.

I'd hang one of I had the right tank footprint. I've got both 240 and 480watt boards.
I hear ya. I have a hlg 650r, 3 sf4000's, 6 1000w hps/mh systems with dimmable digital ballasts, 10 1000 hps lights with the old magnetic ballasts. I could probably grow sps in a swimming pool filled with saltwater yet half my tank is dark because 1 of my hydra 32 burnt-out. I can get a pimp 650watt led light for growing plants for what a 120 watt reef light costs. I'm waiting for a quantum board led to come out with the correct spectrum without the crazy price. I don't need control if spectrum is good
 
I hear ya. I have a hlg 650r, 3 sf4000's, 6 1000w hps/mh systems with dimmable digital ballasts, 10 1000 hps lights with the old magnetic ballasts. I could probably grow sps in a swimming pool filled with saltwater yet half my tank is dark because 1 of my hydra 32 burnt-out. I can get a pimp 650watt led light for growing plants for what a 120 watt reef light costs. I'm waiting for a quantum board led to come out with the correct spectrum without the crazy price. I don't need control if spectrum is good
Have you looked at sourcing the specific diodes you want from Samsung and doing a retrofit?

There was someone on Reddit a few months ago taking an rspec 480 apart and reinstalling diodes he sourced that were the right spectrum. It looked very promising at the time

I never saw a follow up to it and it's been long enough I doubt I could find it again.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top