In addition to loving saltwater fish tanks…I know many of you are dive certified or have gone snorkeling in tropical places. My Mom and I are planning a dive a trip and this will be the first time diving in the ocean. We are looking for a place that is either in the U.S. or on this side of the world. So that rules out Australia, Indonesia, Hawaii, etc. What are your favorite places to dive and what you have found to be the best for beginners and safest for tourists. Please tell me where you went/the resort and why you liked it?
I’ve been an avid diver and underwater photographer my entire life, it is my absolute passion, and have been diving all over the world - Fiji, Tahiti, Australia, Bora Bora, Sea of Cortez, Grand Cayman (many times), Little Cayman, St.Lucia (many times), Key West, Great Exuma, Roatan, Belize, Nassau, Jamaica, Playa del Carmen, Xtapa, Virgin Gorda, Tortola, Peter Island, Curaçao, Turks & Caicos, Antigua, & Bonaire (probably 25 trips - we go several times a year). Im sure I’ve missed a few on the list but I recount this only to give credibility to my next statement.
As far as this side of the world and Caribbean diving I say, in no uncertain terms, that Bonaire is absolutely the spot to go if you want the most expansive, breathtaking diving in the region. It has been a marine park for many decades and is listed as the number one shore diving in the world. There are yellow rocks all around the coast indicating marked dive sites that you literally walk right into from the shore. The diving is so spectacular here and easy to get to that we go several times a year no matter where else in the world we travel. It’s an absolute must for anyone who loves diving.