Best practices for water change waste disposal.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2016
Messages
1,899
Reaction score
1,572
Location
South Carolina
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to start a new tank in a new location. My old place was a bit more rural and I was able to dump water change waste in my gravel driveway with no concerns.

Now I am in a new house with a concrete drive and a septic tank for house drippings. Yard is a bit more formal with an HOA to deal with. So I can't just dump it in my yard. I don't think anyway.

Main question is would dumping ~20 gallons of saltwater each week hurt my septic system? If so what is the best alternative way to dipose of water after w/c?
 
People run water softeners on their houses with septic systems with no ill effects. I’ve got a septic system and my AWC empties into the drain I haven’t had any issues.
 
Following for answers...my concern is the saltwater water messing up the (freshwater) bacteria in the septic tank. Is this not something to be concerned about?
Also, would age of the system play any role?
No HOA here, 25 year old home with 25 year old septic tank. We just had 400 ft of new laterals dug and put in since the old ones were clogged.
 
For 25 years, I have been putting salt water in my septic system. I now have a 180 gallon tank that I do 1% AWC on. I have never had an issue.
 
I've been dumping saltwater in my septic tank for 30 years with no issues. At times there have been up to 200 gallons per month going in.
The last time I had it pumped, maybe 5-6 years ago I asked the guy if he could see any damage or if there was anything to be concerned about and he said everything looked fine.
 
Dump it on the weeds in my gravel driveway. They seem to like it. Haven’t managed to kill a single one yet. Grass is still green too.
 
Toilet or down your driveway - The only thing I would be concerned about is if the concrete was poured within the last 6 months or so .
 
Without a water change, your septic/pond/ground will get saltier. We had septic and pond and the pond would get to 1.010 and I would pump in a bunch of fresh water from the creek nearby and get it back down - this also helped to keep the algae lower.

The rocks around the house is a good place, but does not seem to kill the weeds really all that fast.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top