Best time of day to test

ReefersDelite

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 21, 2018
Messages
205
Reaction score
179
Location
Orange Park, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best time of day to test my water parameters?
Before the lights come on
Or
After lights are on and if so how long after?
 
This only happens if you’re dosing already.
You need to setup a routine dosing if applicable. You would dose consistently at the same intervals and in 24 hours your levels could be off or not but consistency well get established with routine.
 
Why is that?
Because your parameter's can read different during to different times of the day.

If you test at the same time each day, your ruling out those hourly swings.
 
Ok. I just wanted to make sure. I’ve been doing that because I had an auto dose keep pumping alk in my tank un scheduled and it got to 14.3 before I noticed and lost some coral. Now reading more on part 1 and 2 dosing I think I’ve been doing it wrong for a while. I’m using more CA than ALK so I’ve had my doser set at 2ml of ca every 3 days and alk every 5 days. If I follow what the “right way” of using a 2 part then my alk will go sky high again. What’s the meaning behind dosing equal parts if my system isn’t using that much alk?
 
You only need to dose if/when your system needs it. So if you test right now and your alk hasn’t dropped in 24 hours, your tank hasn’t consumed a noticeable amount of alk. The two part is to replenish what has been consumed in equal amounts. If nothing is consumed or less then you’re dosing, the alk and calcium will increase.
 
I like to test right before my lights come on. It lets me know what my peak alk and calc will be for the day. If testing at the end of your light cycle, your alk may be a full dkh or more lower than then the morning, as long as you are dosing around the clock.
 
Ok. I just wanted to make sure. I’ve been doing that because I had an auto dose keep pumping alk in my tank un scheduled and it got to 14.3 before I noticed and lost some coral. Now reading more on part 1 and 2 dosing I think I’ve been doing it wrong for a while. I’m using more CA than ALK so I’ve had my doser set at 2ml of ca every 3 days and alk every 5 days. If I follow what the “right way” of using a 2 part then my alk will go sky high again. What’s the meaning behind dosing equal parts if my system isn’t using that much alk?

Not all two parts are intended to dose 1:1 , and water changes and a few other things mess with the demand ratio, but in general there’s a fixed ratio of calcium to alk consumption in corals, and that’s what a two part tries to mirror.

Don’t base the fuse of both parts on calcium. Always based it on alk, and if you need more calcium, either make a one time correction, or just dose more if it.
 
I Don't Dose at the moment,
What I find so strange is...if I check my Alk before lights are on my reading is 7.8 that's around 7.30 in the morning, my lights come on at 8 am.
Then if I check my Alk around mid day the reading is 8.3, so is it better to take the reading of Mid day ,rather than before my lights come on at 8 am because I would otherwise need to Dose with Alk supplement. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.
 
Not all two parts are intended to dose 1:1 , and water changes and a few other things mess with the demand ratio, but in general there’s a fixed ratio of calcium to alk consumption in corals, and that’s what a two part tries to mirror.

Don’t base the fuse of both parts on calcium. Always based it on alk, and if you need more calcium, either make a one time correction, or just dose more if it.

Ok. So I need to put more focus on my alk and the calc will follow?
 
I Don't Dose at the moment,
What I find so strange is...if I check my Alk before lights are on my reading is 7.8 that's around 7.30 in the morning, my lights come on at 8 am.
Then if I check my Alk around mid day the reading is 8.3, so is it better to take the reading of Mid day ,rather than before my lights come on at 8 am because I would otherwise need to Dose with Alk supplement. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

I’ve always tested in the PM after my lights have been on for a while because Long ago my LFS said that the PH something something something. I honestly forgot why but I always have stuck with PM testing.
 
I’ve always tested in the PM after my lights have been on for a while because Long ago my LFS said that the PH something something something. I honestly forgot why but I always have stuck with PM testing.
Many thanks for your comment :) I usually go from midday to PM for testing, this now is clear to me ;) I do all the tests from PH to all the others including silicate.
 
Well my update is that I can’t seem to get my alk to lower. It’s at 8.9 and I’m still not dosing. I did a 30% WC yesterday and tested today. CA is 430. Why does my alk seem to go up or at least not go down?
 
I was dosing 1&2 and my coral died, now I'm trying to get my levels right and mow i got hair algae, don't know what to do. has any been dosing vodka and does it help?
 
@ReefersDelite and @Sal Amadeo- do your selves a favor and read the articles from Randy Holmes Farley. He has many on the Holy Trinity- Alk, Ca, Mg.

If you read those articles you will come out with the best understanding of the relationship with Ca, Alk, Mg. I read them 10 years ago and they still stand true. You will then get the relationship correct. All and Ca need to be dosed equally. As long as your stock solutions are per his recommendations. Mind you his formula is copied by most suppliers of A and B.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top