Best way of testing? Liquids vs Digital...

That Reefer Man

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 15, 2016
Messages
31
Reaction score
11
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I want to test my water on a more regular basis, right now i just have the API reef master test kit and the freshwater kit, so i use liquid to test everything but sometimes it just doesnt seem so accurate.
I would like to go digital and have seen that the Hanna checkers are like $50 each, my question is...is this worth it? Are they reliable long term without replacing? I know that some of the ph meters burn up over time so im wondering if the Hanna checkers do too.

My thinking was to get a calcium and KH Hanna checker because the way these liquid kits work it makes it kinda hard to check those 2 things since you have to keep dumping in drops until the color changes.
I'm on a limited budget, are there other options out there that will work but maybe cost a little less?

thanks for the feedback!
 
Is there a specific reason you want digital? I wouldn't assume they are more accurate for many things, and the calcium one causes many people issues.
 
There's pros and cons of each.

Liquid
Pros-very accurate if done correctly and timed properly, salifert is my chosen brand.
Cons: lots of room for human error.
Probes
Pros- easy and instant reading, no human error
Cons- needs to be properly calibrated (if cal is off so will the readings)
 
The only reason i would want digital is if its either more accurate or better overall compared to liquid tests, I just want to be sure my readings are correct, I am green/red colorblind so sometimes it can be a pain to find the right colors
 
The only reason i would want digital is if its either more accurate or better overall compared to liquid tests, I just want to be sure my readings are correct, I am green/red colorblind so sometimes it can be a pain to find the right colors
Ohhhh I see. Yea you would probably like the probes/digital better
 
I am also color blind. I cannot check nitrates. I have yet to find a test kit that can actually see. I test alk and phosphate with Hannah checkers. And I check cal and mag with nyos test kits. I have trouble with them also but I feel fairly confident with them, and I ask my wife for help
 
You are looking for consisntancy by the way.
So let's say you are testing and the color change is purple to blue

You stop when YOU see a change in color even if it's 10 drops over now the number you get is going to be way off. But that dosnt matter as long as you can repeat that same test over and over with same result. Providing your tank is healthey
So if your cal is 450 but when you test it's 520 now you have base. But if you test every week and now that 10 drops over is 8,7,4 you know you need to add more to get up to that 10 drops. I hope this makes sense. But basicly you are looking for consistency.
 
There's pros and cons of each.

Probes
Pros- easy and instant reading, no human error
Cons- needs to be properly calibrated (if cal is off so will the readings)

No human error? I can think of many possible human errors. Improper cleaning of vials (fingerprints, dirt, water droplets, etc.), using them in different orientations, wrong timing of measurements, improper measurement of reagents or sample volume, particulates or bubbles in the sample, etc.
 
No human error? I can think of many possible human errors. Improper cleaning of vials (fingerprints, dirt, water droplets, etc.), using them in different orientations, wrong timing of measurements, improper measurement of reagents or sample volume, particulates or bubbles in the sample, etc.
thats true there can be human error for both, but I associate more risk with the liquid (titration) type testing. As long as you use new cal solution and you follow the cal instructions its going to be accurate. I should have written "less risk for human error" lol
Then again, working in a lab I know best practices. Someone who doesnt have that background, there may be more risk using probes than titrations I suppose.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top